MOTON Damper offer

pht9

Boy Racer
As has been discussed quite controversially, the new MOTON Piggy back damper (bump cannister mounted within damper housing, rather than remotely) will be available for March delivery.

I would like to work with 2 Porsche owners, one a 997RS, and one a 997GT3 in the initial stages so that we can get the products into the marketplace.

The offer that I make is that I would allow 15% discount on the damper set, which retail at €3895 + VAT.

Tech 9 will contribute the labour charges for the installation of the dampers and the geometry optimisation FOC.

I will attend FOC personally to a track day, or track days, whatever is required to ensure that the optimal settings are found, and the client has the confidence to make the adjustments themselves, and understand the changes in the attitude and balance of the car.
I feel this is such an important aspect of the service, as wet or dry conditions, and various circuit grip levels and layout, mean that the perfect setup for one track, can lead to others being compromised.
Only with prior experience of the different adjustments and findings can a driver be confident for future trackdays.

I have decided that this will not be on a first come, first served basis, but the owner that I consider can give us the best feedback (maybe they already tried another aftermarket brand) and is committed to a number of trackdays during the year. I thought I would mention this, to be clear from the start.

So, I look forward to hearing from anyone interested to take up my offer ?, either PM, or email to ph@tech9.ms, or even the old fashioned verbal communication on 0151 4255 911

PS. I would add that as our business is primarily Porsche, this is the product that I would like to work with, but as the UK distributor for MOTON products, I would like to mention the fitments for Nissan Skyline, BMW (pretty much all models), all other Porsche models, Corvette C4/5 and 6, Viper SRT10, Ferrari 355/360/430/550/575, Mitsi Lancer Evo 7/8/9/X, Honda S2000, and Mustang 99-04/2005> being the main popular models.

Attachments

Sounds like a good offer Phil,

What exactly does this 'piggy back mean' ? are they to work with the existing dampers, or replace ?

Pics ?

G.

The term 'piggyback' describes the positioning of the bump cannister. Historically MOTON had always used a 'remote reservoir' which was connected to the damper by a hose.
This lead to complications when the installation was on a road car, where it was a preference of the client that the car could be returned to standard at a later date, or they did not wish for further modifications.
In some instances the remote reservoir are more desirable, certainly for adjustment on a race car, without the need to lift the car for adjustment, but for this particular product, customer demand for a 'piggyback' no further modifications solution, has lead to this development.

Just to summarise, the standard damper is removed from the car, and the new MOTON damper is fitted in place, no other modifications to the car are required for fitment.

Aaah, sorry, right, i think i have piggy backs on my Intrax then ?.

I thought yours was a different kind of piggy back that works in unison with the standard dampers, sorry.

are these 3 or 4 way ?

G.

Piggyback as in the remote reservoir is attached to the main damper body like this...
attachment.php

as opposed to connected via a hose...
IMG_6078.JPG

I agree - a great offer.

I really like the Moton solution. 7 clicks of adjustment with each click making a meaningful difference.

These are 2 way adjustable dampers is that right Phil - bump and rebound?

Some questions - how do spring rates compare to Porsche OE front and rear? I assume they are fantastic at GP type circuits (Silverstone, Spa etc..) How do they perform on the road or at the Ring?

I agree - a great offer.

I really like the Moton solution. 7 clicks of adjustment with each click making a meaningful difference.

These are 2 way adjustable dampers is that right Phil - bump and rebound?

Some questions - how do spring rates compare to Porsche OE front and rear? I assume they are fantastic at GP type circuits (Silverstone, Spa etc..) How do they perform on the road or at the Ring?

Scott, thanks for posting the pictures, it clearly defines the two different types..

Yes, two way adjustable. They also have the 'blow-off' feature that enables kerbs to be absorbed without launching the car.

Something that I have done with all my MOTON sales for Porsche to date, is to order the dampers with 'extra-droop' this means that should anyone take their car to the Ring, they will not run into problems over crests and rises. This can be a problem if the dampers have been made 'too short', the rear wheels, literally leave the road surface as they are fully extended if the damper is too short. This is very dangerous, especially in the wet...

Spring rates (I do not have the actual rates yet) from previous experience of the clubsport system, will be stiffer, but because the damper has much better control it can be softened for the road, and not compromise the ride quality.
I am a great believer that spring rates should not be excessively stiff, as a softer spring allows a quality damper to 'work the tyre' and considering most cars will be run on a Corsa, or Pilot Sport type tyre, it is important that the grip is not sacrificed with too stiff a spring. This is possibly an area I may test, when we evaluate at the circuit, although MOTON are confident that the package has been researched and will be correct from delivery.
The dampers will be supplied with an 'OE' style open coil progressive spring, but there will be an option for anyone wishing to use slicks, for a 60mm ID main/tender spring arrangement, like a Cup car/most race cars use..

Sounds like a good offer for someone Phil

Out of interest, why have you priced in Euros and what would the typical labour rates be to fit & geo?

Sounds like a good offer for someone Phil

Out of interest, why have you priced in Euros and what would the typical labour rates be to fit & geo?

I decided to price in Euro, so that I can keep the costs firm without currency fluctuation.

Typical labour charge for fitting, including the full geometry/cornerweights etc. would be £690.

Any plans for a similar 996 offer ?

clive, no special deals like the piggyback version at the moment, as the intention is trying to bring a new product to market.

For 996 fitment we have the clubsport version, Cav on here had a set on his 996 RS.

Thats not to say I can't offer you a good deal on a set, so will let you know tomorrow the numbers when i am in the office

Great deal for somebody as Phil will be able to both drive the car and engineer the chasis to get a good balance at a level the driver is comfortable with

I vote Baf:yeah: He does enough track days to give them a good testing and he is quick enough:D

Might even be able to stop him drifting on the right setup:haha:

cheers for the vote of confidence sean .
hello phil
i am very interested in this and have discussed it with a member on here already . here are some things i am thinking .
1 i am j8 m25 ( near reigate ) is that too far for you ? know this, im willing to go anywhere (track) at anytime ( no work this year , resting ) to make sure we make the car and dampers work well together . the reverse of this is are you willing to come to me for support , set up etc ?
2 i am planning dozens of trackdays this year ranging from flat to the ring would this suit you ?( they are going to be split between 3 cars but obviously can prioritize the 997 gt3rs if we go ahead ) . also a few euro trips so it must work on the road too .
3 will i have to pay for set up and fitting ?( no is a better answer in my humble opinion :angel: )
4 at the end of testing period ( how long by the way ?) will i be obligated to buy the units in question even if i dont like them ?
5 i think you could perhaps do a lot better than 15 per cent as this really will be us helping each other , if i fit your criteria of course .
6 this is what you wont like . my track history is i have only been doing trackdays for a year but have done as many as i could . i think im pretty good planning to improve a great deal and have above average car control . unfortunately i have no experience of other after market items on the 997 gt3rs . however my 993 rsr is running kw clubsports .
7 finally what is FOC please ?:dontknow:
what do you think ?
should i call you if you think its worth discussing further ?

Back