Silverstone 14th May

Ken

Commando
I have just come back from a track evening at Silverstone with Gold Track, we were very lucky with the weather, it stayed dry although some parts of the track were still very slippy. The red flag's got a bit tedious, but still managed to get some good laps in.

I took my Vauxhall VXR220, I was thinking of getting rid of it as the car collection is getting a little excessive, so this was supposed to be the last time on the track. It went so well that now I'm thinking of hanging onto it, my best lap was 2.15.5, that was with traffic and less than 100% grip.

The VX220 is such an under rated car, the only thing that passed me all evening was a radical.

Ken

Last edited:
A friend of mine has the VXR so I think that is turbo'd its a cracking car...keep it at the Nurburgring :tu

I have just come back from a track evening at Silverstone with Gold Track, we were very lucky with the weather, it stayed dry although some parts of the track were still very slippy. The red flag's got a bit tedious, but still managed to get some good laps in.

I took my Vauxhall VXR220, I was thinking of getting rid of it as the car collection is getting a little excessive, so this was supposed to be the last time on the track. It went so well that now I'm thinking of hanging onto it, my best lap was 2.15.5, that was with traffic and less than 100% grip.

The VX220 is such an under rated car, the only thing that passed me all evening was a radical.

Ken
To be honest Ken, a cheaper track tool makes so much sense. After my experience at Donny with a two week old 997 GT3RS (of which I understand that you also now own an example?), I have myself been thinking along these very lines. Is there any "real" point to risking such lovely cars on track ?

Trouble is though, we buy these cars and yet cannot touch their abilities in on-road situations which takes us to the tracks, then the red mist comes down and there is no going back !!

If you are going to track the 997 though, get a Geo first (JZ), transformed the car totally, it really did, which amazed me as I honestly thought that it was un-conquorable in the first place !

Best £428.00 I spent on any car, ever.

Nick

If you are going to track the 997 though, get a Geo first (JZ), transformed the car totally, it really did, which amazed me as I honestly thought that it was un-conquorable in the first place !

Nick

You took some convincing though;)

Ken

Nice one Ken, you are getting a bit too quick for this trackday lark, i think a racing licence is called for now;)

I hear you want to get some biking in now, at least there will be something i'll be able to whip you at :D:D:D

G.

To be honest Ken, a cheaper track tool makes so much sense. After my experience at Donny with a two week old 997 GT3RS (of which I understand that you also now own an example?), I have myself been thinking along these very lines. Is there any "real" point to risking such lovely cars on track ?

Trouble is though, we buy these cars and yet cannot touch their abilities in on-road situations which takes us to the tracks, then the red mist comes down and there is no going back !!

Nick

The VX is much cheaper to run than the Porsche, consumables last much longer.

My 997 RS was on track this evening, it was been driven by my business partner and her instructor, with only 140 miles the clock they were both behaving and not rising to the bait of me passing them in the VX. Once it has a few miles on it and can be used in anger I will get Andy Fearns to set it up.

We have decided to keep the 996 RS, I think I will use that more on track, I'm not sure I could bring myself to thrash the 997 quite in the same way as I do with the 996.

I hear you want to get some biking in now, at least there will be something i'll be able to whip you at :D:D:D

G.

Yes, I dusted off my old bike, all I need to do now is pump up the tyres and then I will have run out of excuses.

It will be a few weeks before I'm ready to take you on at the bowl.

Back