Road Bikes (the pedalling variety!)

Ok, another option - Litespeed Titanium frame with full Dura Ace for 2k - spec completely flexible.

Titanium is as stiff as feck, certainly not for steady rides IMO, it'll shake you to bits...

Lightspeeds are the best with Ti though, and one with full dura for £2k is good value,........... if you don't mind losing your fillings that is:eek:

Titanium is as stiff as feck, certainly not for steady rides IMO, it'll shake you to bits...

Lightspeeds are the best with Ti though, and one with full dura for £2k is good value,........... if you don't mind losing your fillings that is:eek:

Not true!

Titanium is incredibly strong and stiff, therefore transferring the power to forward momentum. But it is inherently absorbent – the shock prefers to travel around the outside of titanium, not through the centre, say like Aluminum. Therefore the shock is disrupted, dissipating its effects before it reaches the rider, providing a smooth ride.

Not true!

Titanium is incredibly strong and stiff, therefore transferring the power to forward momentum. But it is inherently absorbent – the shock prefers to travel around the outside of titanium, not through the centre, say like Aluminum. Therefore the shock is disrupted, dissipating its effects before it reaches the rider, providing a smooth ride.

new to me, my riding buddy has a lightspeed, and i've riden it, i was chocked at how hard it was...

Yes, you need stiff, and especially around the bottom braket for forward motion efficiency, but the harshness is still transmitted up the seat tube and stays afaic...

good bikes all the same, but even lightspeed are going carbon now......

G.

Yeah great, next time a 4x4 runs over my bike, i'll wish it was made of Titanium:out

FFS, that proves nothing, what bike needs strong enough side wall loading to take forces like that:rolleyes:

TI is obviously the strongest stuff out there, but Carbon is strong enough and light enough in the specific areas you need it, when it's loaded in the areas it's been designed to withstand....

Take the Cervelo R3, look at how slim the seat stays are, the chain stays and bottom bracket are so strong, that the seat stays are not actually needed, and are just there for stability...carbon is strong enough in the areas that are needed

R3.gif

Are you getting commission now from Cervelo?

Slightly off topic, but cycling as a sport is fooked. I've followed it for a good 20 yrs now and I must say I've never been more depressed. With Riis, zABEL, etc all coming out after Landis debacle, The sport has no where to go I'm afraid. I will prob boycot following this yrs tour, as I just dont have the heart for it.:(

Are you getting commission now from Cervelo?

Slightly off topic, but cycling as a sport is fooked. I've followed it for a good 20 yrs now and I must say I've never been more depressed. With Riis, zABEL, etc all coming out after Landis debacle, The sport has no where to go I'm afraid. I will prob boycot following this yrs tour, as I just dont have the heart for it.:(

No commision, just think they are at the cutting edge at the moment:)

As for the Pro scene, yes, totally agree, it gives you no faith in them, alas, i a miles from that level, and would hope to think this doesn't affect the Races i enter.....

15-16lbs for a full bike?!

My frame weighs 9.1lbs and the full bike around 37!

Its designed for going down hills rather than up though :)

Steve, If you call through Reading at all then try AW Cycles on the Henley Road. They have a huge Roadie section (upstairs) and are damn good when it comes to doing custom specced builds for your budget.

Ask for James (in mountain bikes - lives just a few houses away from me) or Sue (owner) and say Neil said he would look after you, so you get a deal (James might be better bet!) And make sure you pop in and say hello if you do go - it is just around the corner from me!

I take it you got bored of the thread, Steve - or couldn't you be arsed to reply?

Sorry Guys, I have been struggling a bit with a hangover today and was in meetings most of yesterday.

Thanks for all the really useful info, I have took it all in and will be making enquiries / visiting a few of the retailers recommended :)

Yeah great, next time a 4x4 runs over my bike, i'll wish it was made of Titanium:out

FFS, that proves nothing, what bike needs strong enough side wall loading to take forces like that:rolleyes:

TI is obviously the strongest stuff out there, but Carbon is strong enough and light enough in the specific areas you need it, when it's loaded in the areas it's been designed to withstand....

Take the Cervelo R3, look at how slim the seat stays are, the chain stays and bottom bracket are so strong, that the seat stays are not actually needed, and are just there for stability...carbon is strong enough in the areas that are needed

R3.gif

I know Glenn, it 'cracked' me up seeing it. It's like an egg, on it's side it's weak, on it's end very strong. The same applies for carbon, when weaved in the relevant direction there's almost nothing stronger. This is where frame designers earn their keep. :)

Back