Nurburgring Norschleife Simulator Traing in development

The main thing I found with rift is lack of braking sensation, really struggled with turn in speed being too high. Would be intersted to know which seat is was?

I've used the simulator at Izone quite a lot, it took me several session before I became comfortable with it. It used to make me dizzy but now it feels just like the race car. I think people get side tracked with the simulator equipment, the real value is the instructor giving guidance how how to improve.

Hi Mark,

I'm free on Saturday morning, and could pop down if you need a Billy! I've done a few hundred laps of the Ring over the years, but never raced there. Not sure if that's what you're after, by happy to help if needed.

Matt

That's great then Kev, Joe and Matt. That should give us plenty of feedback in order to tweek anything we need to. Then we can move on to starting a competition for the fastest lap :tu

The main thing I found with rift is lack of braking sensation, really struggled with turn in speed being too high. Would be intersted to know which seat is was?

We have the VR headset and a 3 screen display as a back up. Most people get on the 3 screen display and go straight on into the wall on the first corner! The VR headset gives you a much greater perception of speed and braking. We've added the 'G' seat which has paddles pushing into your body to simulate cornering, braking and acceleration. We are working on settings to give the best feedback. The new pedal box, installed yesterday, is a great improvement already. It still isn't a real car on a race track, but as Ken says it's about what you can learn on it that's the key...

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to say thanks for an amazing VR experience this morning. Slight quesyness aside, the headset and set up is absolutely amazing. It's genuinely as close as you're going to get without being there. With a little bit of refining here and there it will be even better.

Great to catch up with Kev and meet Julian too.

Thanks again
Matt

Yes - same from me - thanks Mark - really really interesting. The VR headset was very impressive. Sorry we couldn't give you more useful feedback - I think it would take a day do get used to the equipment and sensations - and then you could start to give some real feedback. I can see how that it could really help people learn a new track, or refresh their memory of an existing track - I hope you do well with it.

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to come for a trial. We will certainly take your points on board, which we hope will go towards making it a better experience for all. I just need to practice some more to beat Kevs lap time (I'm sure he cut some corners while we weren't looking!

Mark,

First of all apologies for not coming back to this thread sooner. Man flu has put me out of action all weekend.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to try the simulator. It is clear you have a very capable solution. The experience with the headset is almost real. I hope the feedback was useful. As for the lap, well I reckon with a little more time on the headset there is 22 seconds in it!

For a VLN - you would do likely 3 or 4 laps on Friday PM practise, 2 laps in quali on Saturday AM, and 9 race laps each (with a team of 3).

In a 24h you would like to 6 laps in practise/quali, and then likely 30-35 laps each (with a team of 4). In one of the 24's I did the start, the finish and 46 race laps (with a team of 3).

So in a race car - excluding track days etc. I've done 45 x 15 + 5 x 40 = 875 laps.
Before I started racing (2005) I reckoned I'd done about 2,500 laps in TF, and track days etc. I first drove the Nordschleife in July 1995. So I reckon in total I'm well over 3,000 laps.

That's more than some, and less than others.

For a VLN - you would do likely 3 or 4 laps on Friday PM practise, 2 laps in quali on Saturday AM, and 9 race laps each (with a team of 3).

In a 24h you would like to 6 laps in practise/quali, and then likely 30-35 laps each (with a team of 4). In one of the 24's I did the start, the finish and 46 race laps (with a team of 3).

So in a race car - excluding track days etc. I've done 45 x 15 + 5 x 40 = 875 laps.
Before I started racing (2005) I reckoned I'd done about 2,500 laps in TF, and track days etc. I first drove the Nordschleife in July 1995. So I reckon in total I'm well over 3,000 laps.

That's more than some, and less than others.
that's still some total Joe well done, about 2850 more than me ! :)

Back