Heating Boiler Advice please

I've never found a good plumber yet, all have been hopeless so I now do all boiler repairs,
With the greatest respect Toby, can you do the boiler repairs legally? I assume you need to be 'Gas Safe' or something in these litigious times?

Last edited:
With the greatest respect Toby, can you do the boiler repairs legally? I assume you need to be 'Gas Safe' or something in these litigious times?

Don't worry about being respectful Nigel :D
I've never bothered too much with that law business, best left to those who give a damn! :D

Seriously though, as much as they say you are not allowed to touch a gas boiler it might be that only applies to rented properties, not sure. However all the work i've ever done has involved the water and not the gas side, oh and resetting tripped over temp switches that cut out because of known reasons when you restart the system sometimes. If you google your boiler model you can generally find the complete service manual for them which gives you a step by step guide to what to clean and what to replace, saved me a fortune and no hassles. Even simple things like checking the spark plug gapping on the igniter and cleaning it, simple stuff which any engineer like myself can competently do. I'd rather do it than let some of the previous idiots who claim to be Corgi registered do it, I watched one bloke who I was telling him what I thought the fault might be, I was right and his reply was 'you should get into plumbing'? Worrying!

Back