Ride on Mower advice please

I had a small 36" ride-on that was just too small for 1.5 acres - took forever. Whatever you buy you will wish you got the next size up!

So eventually I bought a secondhand International Harvester 523 (A proper tractor) with a 6' topper, then trimmed the fiddly bits with a standard 24" Toro. All done in a fraction of the time and I could yell 'Git orf moi laaand' with a bit more clout..

My neighbour had a Honda which was a nice bit of kit. I always lusted after the Kubota diesel mini tractor range.

If you are worried about build up of cuttings you can get a good range of attachments for most lawn tractors such as leaf sweepers and small chain harrows.

Easier still though is to get an electric fence and a few sheep. Pretty ones are a bit extra and the buggers do wriggle a lot when you try and get the lipstick on - but your lawn will look a treat and when the mowers are worn out you can eat them!

Oh... forgot to mention.... Minor snags.... you have to watch out for blowfly strike, sheep scab, scrapie, lice, tics, pox and not forgetting foot and mouth. These are just a few of the zillions of sheep diseases. Sorry I may have put you off that idea....

Back to reality? You want a nice shiny ones your neighbours will admire and still do the job? Honda or Stiga. 48" minimum.

Best thing about a sheep is you can eat it !

We have 2 that keep the grass down around the office and storage buildings - at Christmas we eat them :yeah:

Are Countax any good? Made near me by Britcar racer, Harry Handkammer.

In a word? No.

Don't know anything about their tractors but Husqvarna products are generally first class. I have a beaut Husky chainsaw - Quartered and diced the ex-missus in seconds.

How about this cheap light weight version?

attachment.php

Attachments

• ride on.jpg
    ride on.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
My ears were burning!

Yes we sell mowers but ours are cylinder mowers for fine turf (cricket, golf, bowls, croquet, etc) ...unless your lawn is very good quality and you want stripes, then go rotary route.

Cylinder mowers are much more expensive to buy and maintain (they are the Fezza's of the mower world), and for a domestic lawn you'd need to be looking at a machine with 6 to 8 blades. The more blades (ie: 12) the shorter and finer the grasses need to be. To give you an idea golf tees would cut with +/-9-blades and bowling greens +/-12.

Also be careful about width ~ if your lawn has humps and hollows a wider machine won't cope with them and may well 'scalp'. I have half an acre here which is flat and kept manicured and use a 30" 8-blade walk behind.

Harry at Countax can be contacted directly on: harry@countax.com
xx

My ears were burning!

Yes we sell mowers but ours are cylinder mowers for fine turf (cricket, golf, bowls, croquet, etc) ...unless your lawn is very good quality and you want stripes, then go rotary route.

Cylinder mowers are much more expensive to buy and maintain (they are the Fezza's of the mower world), and for a domestic lawn you'd need to be looking at a machine with 6 to 8 blades. The more blades (ie: 12) the shorter and finer the grasses need to be. To give you an idea golf tees would cut with +/-9-blades and bowling greens +/-12.

Also be careful about width ~ if your lawn has humps and hollows a wider machine won't cope with them and may well 'scalp'. I have half an acre here which is flat and kept manicured and use a 30" 8-blade walk behind.

Harry at Countax can be contacted directly on: harry@countax.com
xx

Thanks Jessica :tu should I tell him I know you....in a round about sort of way

I have a countax. It's shit. Understeers like buggery when the grass collector is full. Adds another 20 seconds to a lap of the paddock. Ive tried more front camber and carrying trail throttle to the apex but it still does it. Very frustrating.

Cuts the grass ok though..

I've got a GT3 RS that has a lovely set up, tried abit of grass cutting at Silverstone last night and it was shit, although it did leave some nice lines.

Back