DaveB tell me more

InsBro

Ring Warrior
Millitary aviation

What was the Mig capable of Mach 6? It could only fly for 11 minutes at full throttle or somthing silly before it needed refueling

Jez

InsBro said:
Millitary aviation

What was the Mig capable of Mach 6? It could only fly for 11 minutes at full throttle or somthing silly before it needed refueling

Jez

No MiG was capable of Mach 6 flight, the MiG-25 Foxbat was capable of Mach 3.2 but due to engine/fuselage issue this was limited to Mach 2.83.

damian said:
No MiG was capable of Mach 6 flight, the MiG-25 Foxbat was capable of Mach 3.2 but due to engine/fuselage issue this was limited to Mach 2.83.

I know that 1 as it was air breathing - Soviet Mikoyan MiG-25 fighter (NATO code name Foxbat).
It has been tracked by radar at about Mach 3.2 or 3,395 km/h (2,110 mph). The MiG-25 was designed as a high-altitude interceptor, and over 1,200 have been built.

I thought there was a rocket powered/assisted 1 that flew stupidly quick???

Edited to add the US had the x-15 that flew at Mach 6.8

i'm sure the Ruskies had similar???

Jez

Last edited:
InsBro said:
I know that 1 as it was air breathing - Soviet Mikoyan MiG-25 fighter (NATO code name Foxbat).
It has been tracked by radar at about Mach 3.2 or 3,395 km/h (2,110 mph). The MiG-25 was designed as a high-altitude interceptor, and over 1,200 have been built.

I thought there was a rocket powered/assisted 1 that flew stupidly quick???

Jez
The Bell X-15, obviously American, flew at Mach 6.7 that was a rocket powered.

edited: :)

InsBro said:
Millitary aviation

Jez

the fastest Mig they Have is the Mig 25

there is video of one of these taking a potshot at a Sr-71 Blackbird as they are nearly as fast and can fly at similar altitude i.e 85,000 ft

mach 6 and above is classed as hypersonic

Not strictly on topic:

I was watching TV tonight and saw that in Japan they now have a train that will cruise at 500km/h. It uses superconductors and magnetic levitation, so no rails.
I thought it was just a prototype, but it is now real.
The bullet trains are old hat.
500 km/h, that's London to Edinburgh in an hour and a half.

I might have to see if I can get a ride on one.

Btw - your mobile phone will not work above 300km/h, the handovers between base stations cannot happen fast enough. So no one will be talking on the phone.

Back