BDM Audi S3 Endurance Race car project

Backdraft

Boy Racer
Running the beautiful Lamborghini Gallardos this year has been fantastic, but frustrating at the same time. Doing the Barcelona 24 hour was the most painful. I've had to concentrate on running the cars and not had the time to dedicate to driving myself.
Somehow i've managed to convince the powers that be and the team to start a new project. In all seriousness the 2.0TFSi has not been as big a hit with us as the 1.8T and I think we really need to show our customers what we can really do with this engine. We have the Seat Leon racing in Guatemala, which has been a great success and we have gained valuable information.
My heart is in endurance racing and also this arena is the ultimate to demonstrate durability and reliability. Both areas that really give a tuning customer confidence in the products and services.
The Creventic series seems to be the best suited and well run. The Seat Supacopas certainly do well and the S3 will have a few extra tricks up its sleeve. We may also run the Britcar 24 hour depending how close to the Barcelona race it is scheduled for in 2012.
We are very fortunate as we have the budget, drivers and support secured so we can just concentrate on building the car...
The donour car is a mint late 2007 Audi S3 265 bhp and completely standard. A few nice extras which should all go into the pot to sell on and go towards the budget.
In fairness the S3 is pretty tame in standard form. It's a 'nice' car but a bit heavy and safe with its Quattro system and airbags etc. A good diet will be the first port of call and then installing a full weld in cage. Watch this space for further progress and enjoy the ride with us...

DSCF0710.jpg

Our previous attempt in the VAG race car market was a great success and I hope this project goes as well plus we will do a few things slightly differently based on our previous experience and knowledge gained...

tt-24-hour.jpg

Awesome, good luck with the project. Have to say, when I opened the thread I was gutted to see it wasn't an 8L S3. I loved mine and all the time I had it harboured dark thoughts of keeping it and stripping it into a snorting 400 brake track dog - if it hadn't been so mint I would have done.

Keep us posted!

Mark, I loved your TT and I still remember the pax laps you gave me round rocky - if this project is half as good it will be fantastic . good luck matey

Great stuff Mark - what spec are you building it to ? will you flat floor it ?

Idea is to build a Supacopa level chassis with more power and Quattro. Just working out pros and cons of keeping stuff like air con. Really want the car to be able to hold a good pace, with relatively low driver effort, good fuel economy and look after its tyres, so stops can be minimised. The key to endurance is definately to stay out and keep rotating. Stops not only cost time but put stress on the car especially with temperatures.

Back