Roadkill question

top brake

King Kong
is it illegal to take your roadkill home?

I took out a Pheasant on Saturday after the stoopid bird walked into the front of the 500, thankfully no damage to my front splitter...

we got talking about roadkill and I thought it might be illegal as basically you are hunting using your car as a weapon :dontknow:

technically your are poaching :finger someone owns that pheasant

and hunting out of season :finger

but I wouldn't eat it If I were you - meat might be rather bruised

Last edited:
I was thinking the same as Clive - the meat will be bruised.

Regardless of the legality it is a bit pikey and therefore not the sort of thing to admit on here*

James.

I was thinking the same as Clive - the meat will be bruised.

Regardless of the legality it is a bit pikey and therefore not the sort of thing to admit on here*

James.

:haha:

i didn't take it home James - god knows where it ended up apart from under my Fiat :finger

all i was concerned about was my front splitter

I think there is a bit of case law somewhere - basically if you killed it you cannot remove it legally. However, if you come across it dead then it's acceptable. Unless you are starving why bother as it will only be fit for the dogs at best!?

In the case of a bird I doubt anyone could b'e arsed to prosecute! If it's a Deer on the other hand you will get fined if caught but if you 'found' it you would b'e Ok. Best stick with your local friendly butcher in my opinion or get friends who are allowed to shoot at stuff!!!

The rule used to be that if you hit it you could not pick up, but the next person past could.

If condition of bird is ok I would take home. Hang for few days and look at condition of the breast meat. If still pink/red remove, slice, dice, fry and make a nice game/ham casserole. Would not bother plucking and roasting.

If guts are hanging out of its arse then I would leave it for the carrion eating raptors.

You only hit it with a 500, so unlikely to be damaged too much.

This is Arthur Boyt, the man who eats roadkill :eek:

[video=youtube;0U-0o5xrpBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U-0o5xrpBg[/video]

The rule used to be that if you hit it you could not pick up, but the next person past could.

If condition of bird is ok I would take home. Hang for few days and look at condition of the breast meat. If still pink/red remove, slice, dice, fry and make a nice game/ham casserole. Would not bother plucking and roasting.

If guts are hanging out of its arse then I would leave it for the carrion eating raptors.

You only hit it with a 500, so unlikely to be damaged too much.

i think it will be well rotted/eaten by foxes by now!

Check out the contents of this nutjob's freezer. His wife's a vegetarian, I'm not surprised.

[video=youtube;YBNYgwMuCXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNYgwMuCXM&NR=1[/video]

Why is bruising bad? Surly a few shotgun pellets induces bruising anyway?

I was trying to find why you need to remove the blood from an animal in general.
I can find a few reasons:
- religious - some religions (Judaism, Islam) require the blood to be removed. It appears it is mentioned in the Bible for instance.
- the appearance is better - the meat is considered less attractive with black spots in it.
- the texture is better - having the blood in it makes it less open and firmer.
- the meat will keep longer with no blood in it (I can't find out why though - I am not sure why the blood should degrade any faster than the meat, but it appears it does).

So if there was bruising, it won't look or keep as well. However, I read that you can soak it in salted water and this will remove the blood, although you are going to have to chop the thing up first - no just shove your pheasant in a bucket of water.

Normally you would bleed the animal as part of the killing process, or very shortly afterwards.
If you have run it over, it is probably dead, so you need to cut it's neck and hang it up. By the time you have driven home, it may be too late. Then you'll need to chop it up and soak it.
If wanted to hang it to get a more gamey flavour, that is obviously a disadvantage.

Obviously you can eat dead things, since when you trap things or use snares, the animal will be dead. So I guess the main thing is just how long you want to keep it.

There are other issues with running things over.
If you rupture the digestive system, the bacteria can get into the meat, which seems not to be a good idea, and also makes it harder to gut properly.

You may also have broken a load of bones and have splinters in the meat.

I am not really an expert in this stuff though, since meat comes from the supermarket.
The only things I have caught, killed, gutted and eaten myself are fish.

Back