Question for the Doctors in the house (Aspartame)

a lot of what is written here is great .

A good guide to use is to eat things that are actually a food and your body recognizes as such. aspartame is completely artificial and man made like many of the fats/spreads you get now. the amount you have to eat to cause cancer is inhumanly high but its still not good for you mate.
In my athlete days we just used to drink water electrolytes can be replaced with bananas etc and there are drinks on the market without artificial sweeteners.

you are obviously very active fear not sugar, fats etc
they are vital.

I'm going to do my own study. I regularly drink diet coke (about 1/2ltr - 1ltr a day), and I also have artificial sweetener in my tea/coffee. I'll just cut them out entirely (and switch to sugar) for a couple of months and see whether I can feel any improvement at all.

It's not terribly scientific, but it's a good excuse to swap diet coke for beer.

I have an experience with that sweetener - it was in marmalade - I had marmalade on two slices of toast at my brothers for breakfast.

One hour later I was on the toilet wondering what the fk I ate to cause the entire contents of my stomach to fill the toilet. :eek:

My brother then said those immortal words "Oh that's the aspartame - it does that - don't you know that? -I wondered why you were so generous with the marmalade" :alright:

Glenn,

I used to know an American guy who I used to play football with. He made his his own "sports drink" by liquidising bananas, honey, water and diorolyte in a blender. Tasted absolutely rank (I know - I tried it!), but it certainly worked for him and me, and I'm convinced this is much better than some of the so-called "scientifically formulated" sports/isotonics that are out there.

My 2p...

Glenn, anyone,
My wife is training hard for running/triathlons and she was interested to know what folks on here now think is the best drink to have during exercise, and what the best recovery drink is for after exercise. Any ideas please?
For recovery, she currently uses Total Recovery by Joe Weiders (a powder that you mix with water) but it tastes like shit.
Before exercise, she currently uses Power Bar Performance Sports Drink and she is happy with that. I couldn't see aspartame on the label.

Glenn, anyone,
My wife is training hard for running/triathlons and she was interested to know what folks on here now think is the best drink to have during exercise, and what the best recovery drink is for after exercise. Any ideas please?
For recovery, she currently uses Total Recovery by Joe Weiders (a powder that you mix with water) but it tastes like shit.
Before exercise, she currently uses Power Bar Performance Sports Drink and she is happy with that. I couldn't see aspartame on the label.

Try this -

http://www.energy4sport.com/acatalog/TAUT_Sports_Drinks.html

Glenn, anyone,

Sorted now mate.

Taut is the best before and during energy drink, as it is free from aspartame, and other nasty's.

As for recovery, that Joe Weider stuff will no doubt be a bit weight lifter specific, so assuming she doesn't want to look like one of those horrid manlike looking women, i'd go for something more specific.

I use SIS Rego, unfortunately it has aspartame in it, but you only really need it after very hard sessions, say over 2-3 hard hours, so you won't be drinking tonnes of the stuff all week.
It has everything you need for recovery, especially electrolytes, which the Weider one may not, as i assume she will be sweating out loads of salts etc.
Also has a higher carb/protien ratio too, rather than other way around

For normal recovery after a medium workout, just anouther energy drink (taut) with an energy bar (with a bit of protien will suffice.

Make sure recovery food/drink is taken directly after finishing sessions for best recovery.

I also use an overnight product by SIS called Nocte, it's for when you are doing 2 very hard days back to back.

HTH

G.

Thanks Glenn, I appreciate that. I will research those 2 products. Do you buy them on the net or in the shops? :thumbup:

The cheapest place to get Taut is at Waitrose, £1 per bottle, some petrol stations sell it, but at least half the price again.

You will find SIS stuff in most good cycling shops, but should be found on net also.

G.

Enough to taunt me about not having a job ;) And besides you are THE KING of spare time. When you WIKI spare time, theres just a picture of you.

Back on the bike now, its killin me but I cant believe how much I missed it.

Back