Porsche 996 Turbo Cabriolet

Damon

King Kong
Well a two-day detail finished.

This is Glenn Mc's 996 Turbo Cabriolet in Lapis Blue.

Full set of pics here

Gallery.... http://public.fotki.com/omen666/valeting_and_detailing/

This is a classic the car looks ok when you arrive, regularly cleaned and finished with a high-end wax, but evil lies beneath……

The normal process followed:

• Fabric roof brushed, hovered, sprayed with water and agitated, extractor used to remove dirt, left to dry before lint rolling to finish.
  • Wheels and arches cleaned.
  • Car washed using wash mitts and two-bucket method.
  • Interior vacuumed, plastics cleaned and dressed and leather seats cleaned and conditioned.
  • Paint surfaces and glass claybared.

The car has been regularly clean with a sponge so had the resulting swirling, but I have to say this car had more than most… (to be fair to Glenn, please remember these pics have four 500w Halogen lamps bearing down on them)

IMG_6317-vi.jpg

IMG_6322-vi.jpg

The extent of the defects wasn’t visible until the car had been washed and claybared.

IMG_6330-vi.jpg

IMG_6312-vi.jpg

IMG_6344-vi.jpg

IMG_6333-vi.jpg

IMG_6314-vi.jpg

It was then possible to see some holograms (polish burn) from the paint shop that had done some respraying.

IMG_6336-vi.jpg

IMG_6343-vi.jpg

So to address these it was going to take some time. Machine polishing a small section resulted in the conclusion that to get the car defect free and achieve my standard of finish it was going to take more time than is available during these winter days. So we discussed how best to proceed. We had a choice of taking most of the defects out and getting around the car in a day (and imo compromising the finish) or extending the detail to a second day (my preference). Thankfully Glenn agreed and I cracked on.

Door before machine polishing…

IMG_6347-vi.jpg

And…..

IMG_6348-vi.jpg

IMG_6349-vi.jpg

Polishing finished (that’s me not Glenn ;) )

IMG_6367-vi.jpg

After polishing is was time to prepare the paint for waxing. Swissol Cleaner Fluid was applied and removed before applying Swissol Best of Show wax. Buffed off after 10 minutes curing time and the results speak for themselves.

IMG_6371-vi.jpg

IMG_6373-vi.jpg

IMG_6429-vi.jpg

IMG_6418-vi.jpg

Then all rubber and plastics finished before the final buffing and pics

The finished car

IMG_6439-vi.jpg

IMG_6441-vi.jpg

IMG_6443-vi.jpg

IMG_6445-vi.jpg

IMG_6457-vi.jpg

IMG_6460-vi.jpg

IMG_6462-vi.jpg

IMG_6404-vi.jpg

IMG_6405-vi.jpg

IMG_6407-vi.jpg

IMG_6413-vi.jpg

IMG_6400-vi.jpg

So really hard work but worth the end result :tu

Damon
detailfinish.co.uk

Fook my old boots that looks good.

Question for you.. Did you have to take off more paint than is normal when polishing swirls that bad out ? And if so what does that mean for the future of the car ?

Also do you charge more if you stay for a second day ?

Looks bloody amazing!

I cant bloody wait to get the Lambo done now!

If you can get it looking this good I wont use the thing again...it would be too clean to use!

Fook my old boots that looks good.

Question for you.. Did you have to take off more paint than is normal when polishing swirls that bad out ? And if so what does that mean for the future of the car ?

Also do you charge more if you stay for a second day ?

Technically I am not taking paint off. A car has primer, paint then clearcoat. Its the clearcoat your working with in 'paint' correction. But for ease of discussion everyone just calls it paint.

You are right though, one has to be careful to keep measuring the thickness of the paint with a Paint Thickness Gauge. This device measure helps you monitor the amount of microns you are removing.

So this car is in great shape going forward.

Part of my time with a customer is showing them how to best care for the car post detail, and the quality of the products I use means these details are good for the life of the car if you keep it topped up :tu

This was an unusual situation. I had the family with me as we were visiting friends in Aylesbury so I was able to return to complete the detail. TBO it was my choice, a detailing business lives and dies by its standard of finish and reputation.

I won't compromise my standards so decided I would take the time necessary to get the job done for the same cost.

I have been commissioned for 2 day details, and these are the special ones :tu

I could easily spend 5 days on a car to get it how I'd like to. To quote Mitchell whilst I did his GT3 over 2 days "Damon, you are insane" :out

Big up for Damon:tu:

He worked for hours non stop on the car, his attention to detail, and total dedication is unbelievable.

Even if i knew how to do what he does, i don't even think i could put the amount of effort he did, in to my own car, let alone any body elses.

He is a true perfectionist, and as you can see, the before shots weren't pretty, and i now know that sponges are the devils work:wall but he has brought the car back to life again.

I can't recommend him high enough, and every penny spent with him is well worth it, he's a true professional...

I now don't want to drive the thing as i'm too scared of having to wash it myself:(

G.

Thanks Glenn, it was great to spend some time with you, your a Gent

And your Bacon and Mushroom sandwiches are pretty good too :tu

To be fair the lights and camera are very good. You'll be fine, follow the wash guide and top it with the spritz.

Thanks for your kind words, its all part of the service.

No compromise

I know it's vulgar to ask, but how much does a 2 day valet cost? My SL has swirls in the paint like Glenn's at the back of the car, and front has been resprayed recently so it would make sense to protect it with some wax.

I'll top Glenn's bacon and mushroom sarnie by the inspired addition of a fried egg! Jubbly!

First point of order is all dependant on condition of car and for offline discussion.

The time is right, so lets discuss.

Re the sandwich, that is spooky, Glenn and I have been laughing about this very subject, separate thread to follow....

Considering Glenns got F-all to do all day but wash his car, you'd think he would have made a better effort then he has done ;)

Damon - I've always been a bit dubious of car detailers as I suspected it was more to do with photoshopping and lighting than actually cleaning, but it is obvious from your pictures it genuinely does make an amazing difference. Looking forward to you doing mine now.

James.

Back