LASIK - Laser Eye

Cant watch that!! had mine done about 12 years ago, fking painfull then as well!

eyes are still perfect though:)

Yep, reminds me of my surgery too. Still got the video just like that one! Had it done in 2000 at Stanford University Hospital in California... we chatted about football (American) during the entire surgery after I popped 2 Valiums...

before: legally blind.
after: 20/20 in my right eye, 15/20 in my left!

It was truly a life transforming surgery. :)

Sounds good. I'm considering having it done at the moment. Been recommended to use Dr Rostron based at www.accuvision.co.uk in Fulham. They use LASIK and apparently one of the best places in the country to get it done.

Any further info/advice you guys have would be appreciated :)

Actually... one question:

Do they numb your eye in any way? Or can you see the surgeon removing the top layer of eye to then make the laser cut?

Check out the surgeon and the facilities. Speak with other patients who have had surgery done where you are thinking of. At the end of the day, your eyes are in the hands of the surgeon and you want the best there is to minimise risks and get the best job done properly. Find out about what kind of aftercare is available and what is included as part of the service. Cost should not really be a factor in this kind of surgery - a penny saved is just not worth it...

Wife had it done in 2004, and her prescription was -5 in both eyes,
she was bad for a day, however vision was 80% after the first hour
by the end of the second day 95%
and by the end of the week beyond 20/20

I wanted her to have a boob job, however she won the day, and have to say the best £4K I have ever spent.:)

Had mine done 2 years ago. A bit painful putting the lumpy epithelium back in place but well worth it.

Allan

Had Wavefront Ultralasek done 3 months ago. My prescription was -4.25 (l) and -3.25(r)
Currently I'm at 20/20 in my left and my right is two lines worse.

I was absolutely petrified before the operation but it was over so quickly, each eye took about 3 minutes. You feel no pain whatsover, all you hear is the crackle from the laser and you smell something like burning hair.

I could see well enough to walk about but my close vision was quite poor for about 2-3 days. My right eye improved most originally but now it's hovering at -0.75 but is still improving, my left eye is now at 20/20

It's the silly things you notice most, being able to see in the shower, waking up and not having to find your glasses.

I'd highly recommend Ultralase to anyone considering it. If you want more information then please ask.

Blimey... Im nearly tempted to give it a try.... Im -4.75... :(

Hmmmmmm....

For reference, my eyesight before surgery was -12.5 (L) and -11 (R). I can honestly say it was weird not finding my spectacles on my nose for at least 6 months after the surgery!

My vision is -1.50 and -2.25, is it worth it for that low a prescription ?

It depends on how intrusive glasses are to your lifestyle, or how you think your lifestyle might change if you didn't have to wear glasses.

A key consideration is the state of health in your cornea as it becomes more rigid and is less able to heal itself with time. The key consideration here is the fact that the cornea is being physically cut by the microkeratone blade and it will take a few months before it re-fuses at the edges. In extremis, the cornea gets so hard in old age that it can form cataracts.

A good surgeon will be able to do a topological scan and determine the overall health and propensity for the eye to reheal post-op. A good surgeon will make a suitable recommendation as to whether the eye is healthy enough to undergo the surgery.

My brother-in-law who is a fair bit older than me had his done by a $$-hungry surgeon. The recommendation was to have surgery (of course :rolleyes: ) and he has had trouble ever since having to go back time and time again.

Sounds obvious, but don't compromise on the recommending/operating surgeon. Many have and they are paying the price today of an irreversible procedure.

They don't bother me at all and to be honest I quite like the look. But i guess the cost and inconvenience of having to have regular eye checks and new pairs of specs is a p.i.t.a.

Very good thread with some great info guys :tu !

My eyes are -5.25 left and right and I am still considering laser eye surgery (years of profuse masturbation does that to ones eyes - god knows how many a day PolarExpress was on, eh ? ). One day I'll get it done. At the moment i use diposable contacts which are fine as long as you don't go cutting chillis up a few hours before you need to take them out , i find :D

Maybe we can organise a PGT group discount !

James.

My eyes are -5.25 left and right and I am still considering laser eye surgery (years of profuse masturbation does that to ones eyes - god knows how many a day PolarExpress was on, eh ? ). One day I'll get it done. At the moment i use diposable contacts which are fine as long as you don't go cutting chillis up a few hours before you need to take them out , i find :D

Maybe we can organise a PGT group discount !

James.

:finger endurance my friend... endurance... ;)

Back