Dash cams - vigilantes paradise?

A friend of mine who owns a coach company has got footage of someone stealing all their wheels, police refused to look at it, they said it would be inadmissible as evidence.

Do dash cams record speed and if yes, is it verified and calibrated regularly? As for general bad driving that can be a different interpretation surely - i.e. person in front was causing a hazard by driving too slow for the conditions.

Nobody likes a grass

So now we have absolutely no option available to pass a lane 3 hog on the motorway. Undertake and you are for it.

Most drivers' don't think overtaking is in the Highway Code anyway.

Have the police really got time to sift through all these old fools amateur videos to dole out 3 points ?

So now we have absolutely no option available to pass a lane 3 hog on the motorway. Undertake and you are for it.

Most drivers' don't think overtaking is in the Highway Code anyway.

Have the police really got time to sift through all these old fools amateur videos to dole out 3 points ?

as long as there is a financial incentive... so yes, they will find the time - and such jobs can be given to i.e. voluntary police officers

Do dash cams record speed and if yes, is it verified and calibrated regularly? As for general bad driving that can be a different interpretation surely - i.e. person in front was causing a hazard by driving too slow for the conditions.

Some do, and some don't. Of those that do, on some you can disable that feature.

Badgers right on both these comments.

I am fitting one of these to my Golf as I am fed up of prats on the road. None of them are driving to fast its the ones that just aren't aware of whats around them or on there bloody phone doing 40 on the motorway.

Plus I love the fact you can have them record at night when the car is locked up. Had some gob on my car the other night and if I had my camera in there I would have caught them.

Other huge problem in Oxford is Crash for Cash. They arrested an asian gang doing it a while back but they now reckon its the Romanians. The cameras can protect you against this by filming it all and recording the damage to the car.

I have dashcams in mine to protect against insurance fraud, deliberate accidents etc.

Paradoxically I don't like the idea that they're becoming more prolific, people's idea of speed for example, I carry out a perfectly safe overtake at speed and get the full beams from some gimp who does 40 everywhere, whats to stop them dropping the vid to the police, all they have to do is work out how many white lines I'm passing a second and bosh, they've got my speed.

New one arriving today! Had a great little one from Toby that i was testing for years, nice little unit but upgrades must.

Over the last year driving into london I have been surprised at the amount of bikes with the riders wearing cameras on their lids , and riding like complete dick's . Don't they think that plod will look at all the footage if they have an accident . They may prove that someone pulled out , but they then get done for reckless or dangerous driving for another time !

Back