Cambridge Autogleam: Frozen Black M3 and other work

jk83

Boy Racer
Evening.

Been rather busy recently so rather than do lots of write ups I'll pick this one out and for those that want to see what we have been up to you can view the photos of the other cars we have worked on in our portfolio on our website.

Click the thumbnails.

Well after owning this lovely white car for a relatively short time...

Peters%20BMW%20M3-05.jpg

... the owner had the chance to swap into this brand new and mechanically identical Frozen Black M3...

Peter%20BMW%20M3%20Frozen%20Black-17.jpg

Uber shiny white to matt black. I guess you couldn't get further apart :)

The car was brand new only having been driven from the dealers home so was just covered in a very light layer of dust.

Wheels cleaned in the usual manner with acid free cleaner and super degreaser.

Then as it was a matt car (the finish is actually more satin than matt but anyway..) it was out with the Swissvax Opaque products..

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-01.jpg

As the car was only very lightly dusty it was pre washed with just clean water and then shampoo'd with the Opaque shampoo. The arches were then dressed earlier than usual as any slight product overspray would need to be cleaned of with the cleaner fluid as part of the next stage.

Back indoors the Opaque cleaner was sprayed on...

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-02.jpg

...spread and any greasy marks or bug splatter carefully rubbed with 1 MF cloth...

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-03.jpg

...and then before the cleaner fluid dries naturally its wiped with another clean dry MF cloth till any residue has vanished.

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-04.jpg

The wax was then applied with a foam pad and left to stand for 2-3 minutes per section

Seen here applied to half the bonnet..
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-05.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-06.jpg

The wax wipes on and buffs of easily. I found it best to remove with 2 MF cloths. 1st one to remove the worst of the residue and then a 2nd cleaner one to give a final 'smearless' wipe (as obviously it doesn't get clogged up with so much of the product... which is more greasy than regular waxes I felt)

You can see the subtle change to the depth of the paint here...

Wax applied..
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-07.jpg

..and removed but you can still see where it was applied..
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-08.jpg

..and from the side.. still easy to see the difference after waxing..
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-09.jpg

The rest of the paintwork was waxed panel at a time and left for 2-3 mins before buffing. The carbon roof was waxed with Zymol Vintage as this had a regular high gloss finish.

I've been using a newer product on the last few cars for plastics and rubbers. Phil from Shinearama kindly sent me some Carpro PERL. There are various dilution suggestions but I decided to just use it neat for the tyres and external plastics and the engine. Very simple to use.. just spray onto a foam pad and wipe on. I found I didn't need that much product to effectively cover a decent sized area (I had a 50ml sample and so far its done 3 cars plastics and tyres and I still have about 1/4 left)

The finish is lovely and not that shiny to look at and not at all greasy to touch. I've seen good reviews for the durability and from the feel of it on the tyres I'm hoping there will be no product sling either.

Big thumbs up from me and will definitely be ordering more of this product.

Applied to the engine bay..
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-10.jpg

Applying to the tyre (you can sort of see the 50/50)
PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-11.jpg

You can also see it applied to the plastics and tyres of this GT3...
PeterPorsche997GT3topup-06.jpg

PeterPorsche997GT3topup-07.jpg

Back to the M3... the interior was then vacuumed and leather treated with Zaino Z10. Glass treated with RainX, wheels and exhaust with Blackfire metal sealant.

The car was given a final wipe with the Opaque quick finish and rolled outside for a few final photos...

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-12.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-13.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-14.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-15.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-16.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-17.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-18.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-19.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-20.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-21.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-22.jpg

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-23.jpg

Thanks for looking. Dont forget to add us on facebook or twitter if you enjoy our work

Nathan

Is the frozen black paint a powdercoat? I seem to remember someone saying it was, which would worry me re resprays & paint correction...

making a Matt car shinny ! - the irony ! looks good though

Off topic - can you recommend a dash cleaning product that will remove or cover light scratches to the soft fake leather type vinyl finish ??

great work. swissvax stuff gets a great review from detailers.

i have to say, i definately prefer his white M3 before the black one. the frozen colours dont appeal to me much.

Most unusual colour.....there's a similar one on my road but it's a frozen type grey. looks like a wrap really.

Not sure it's my cup of tea really.

Most unusual colour.....there's a similar one on my road but it's a frozen type grey. looks like a wrap really.

Fashion. My BMW dealer has a E92 M3 Competition pack in the special frozen black (only 25 cars in the UK) - £75k. I'd rather pay a few bob more and get the ugly orange GTS.

Daft colour

I would want a discount of £10k rather than pay the few grand they charge as a premium for that frozen stuff.

In years to come, people will be getting full resprays to standard colours.

Any-one here young enough to remember velvetex paint coating in the early 70's?

Frozen grey or black colour finish has to be seen in prson to appreciate it. Pictures do make these cars looks.. well, horrid IMO.

.. cheapo calipers! LOL

Impressive work, as always :tu

The M3 looks really good, and I do like the stuff you have used on tyres/trim.

The Carpro PERL is very nice. Will be interested to return and see if the durability is as good as everyone claims it is but purely from a looks point of view its the nicest plastic and rubber dressing I've seen.

Is the frozen black paint a powdercoat? I seem to remember someone saying it was, which would worry me re resprays & paint correction...

Im not 100% sure how the paint is applied. Its actually a metallic black but both the paint and the lacquer will have a matting agent in them. Paint correction is not possible. Cant every use anything abrasive on it so if it ever does pick up typical washing swirls then there isn't much you can do.

making a Matt car shinny ! - the irony ! looks good though

Off topic - can you recommend a dash cleaning product that will remove or cover light scratches to the soft fake leather type vinyl finish ??

Ha, I offered to get my rotary polisher out to make it shiny :) but the customer decided to keep it matt lol. The wax didn't actually make it shiny, just gave it a deeper satin sheen and protected it.

Not sure how bad the light scratches are but if they have scared the leather you could try a gliptone colour wash. Order the recolour kit in your colour and dilute it down and sponge it on. Then use their conditioner.

great work. swissvax stuff gets a great review from detailers.

i have to say, i definately prefer his white M3 before the black one. the frozen colours dont appeal to me much.

I think Swissvax are the only company doing an 'opaque' range at the moment. Their waxes smell amazing but the ones I've tried in the past havent been as durable as the ones I use day to day.

Looks great but why does this M3 look like its the 4x4 version, or do they all sit that high?

PeterBMWM3FrozenBlack-17.jpg

Hmm it does look a tad high... just the photo angle?

in the flesh this is a million times better than a wrap. I was actually very impressed with the finish given that it was straight from the spray gun (obviously you cant flat back and polish any areas like with a regular gloss finish). There were no thick edges or dust nibs. Miles better than the matt grey roof on the 599 GTO I did recently.

Frozen grey or black colour finish has to be seen in prson to appreciate it. Pictures do make these cars looks.. well, horrid IMO.

.. cheapo calipers! LOL

I'm surprised BMW still fit these. They did a nice set of 4pots on the 135i coupe I seem to remember. Wonder why they haven't put something similar on all their M cars?

Great work :tu

But matt black on the M3 looks like a nasty cheap Halfrauds job. Matt black has really had its day. Glossy bright colours is back :)

Great work :tu

But matt black on the M3 looks like a nasty cheap Halfrauds job. Matt black has really had its day. Glossy bright colours is back :)

I guess a car / colour like this was always going to create a marmite type response. :)

Back