Cambridge Autogleam: Aston Martin DBS

jk83

Boy Racer
[video=youtube;31lRE5FSmqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lRE5FSmqY&hd=1[/video]

Evening...

Just uploaded these DBS pics to my website... along with this Boxster S that was recently detailed..

Click the thumbnail to view the Porsche and almost 200 other cars now in our portfolio..

I originally viewed this DBS at Christmas before the customer collected. It was dusty after its road test so it was hard to fully inspect it but you could still see the usual Aston Martin signature sanding marks on most panels. But what I didn't notice, with the thin layer of road grime, or it wasn't on the paint at this point was the terrible contamination / micro blistering to the paint... more on this in a second.

Unfortunately due to the customers work commitments and a few early teething problems with the car I've been unable to detail it till now and its just covered its first 1000 miles. Still... I was relatively optimistic for a straight forwards job... :wall:

The usual wash and clay regiem took place ( all the products I use can be purchased from http://www.shinearama.co.uk/ ) and then it was taken indoors and checked closely under the lights...

Ok.. so DA sanding on the roof... No problem... right??
PaulAstonMartinDBS-01.jpg

And the result after a hit with Menz 3.02 and then wiped with IPA to remove any polishing oils that may be masking some remaining defects...
PaulAstonMartinDBS-02.jpg

... ah ok a couple of scratches left... and whats that funny speckling that looks like sap... surely that should have come off with the polish??.. lets try again...

...hmm thats the scratch sorted out.. but what is this speckling...?
PaulAstonMartinDBS-03.jpg

Some time and lots more polishing later...
PaulAstonMartinDBS-04.jpg

:wall:

Even now I'm not 100% sure what it was. It was on every upper surface but also on the back of the car even right up under the number plate recess but it wasnt on the glass or plastics so it suggested some kind of paint contamination rather than sap but even strong clay wouldn't shift it nor would any chemical. It required 3m fast cut plus and a hard pad and even wool in some areas to fix it. As you can see from the following pictures though I was 99% successful.

Very frustrating seeing as the paint was otherwise correcting with a relatively light polishing compound.

By the end of day 1 (12 working hours) I had only completed (thats compounded and refined) the roof, pillars, n/s door, rear quarter and o/s rear quarter..

Before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-05.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-06.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-07.jpg

Before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-08.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-09.jpg

Before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-10.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-11.jpg

Coming up very nicely as you can see...
PaulAstonMartinDBS-12.jpg

More of that dreaded blistering before polishing..
PaulAstonMartinDBS-13.jpg

And a close up before and after. It may look light but in the flesh it was really robbing the paint of any clarity and it just looked messy.

PaulAstonMartinDBS-14.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-15.jpg

Closer before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-18.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-19.jpg

Day 2 was 9am-10pm again! The rest of the car was polished and refined and then waxed leaving the interior and other detailed jobs for the morning of the 3rd day.

Before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-20.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-21.jpg

Deep water blade lines before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-22.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-23.jpg

More terrible micro blistering.
PaulAstonMartinDBS-24.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-25.jpg

General swirls before
PaulAstonMartinDBS-26.jpg

After
PaulAstonMartinDBS-27.jpg

Note although everyone looks through these pics in a few seconds... I checked the time stamps and the before and afters showed it took me 3 hrs to correct just the bonnet. Time flys when your having fun. lol

The paint was then waxed with Zymol Vintage wax which was left on while other detailing jobs were completed.

Trim and tyres were dressed in what is my new favourite product! :thumb:Car Pro PERL. Leaves them looking like they havent had a product applied at all. Just leaves them black and natural. Love it.

Glass was treated with Gtechniq G1. 3 coats on the front and 1 on the sides and back.

Wheels and exhausts were treated with Blackfire metal sealant (available from Polished Bliss)

Interior was vacuumed and leather treated with Zaino Z10.

And then I went a bit crazy with photos :)

Enjoy...

PaulAstonMartinDBS-28.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-29.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-30.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-31.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-32.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-33.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-34.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-35.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-36.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-37.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-38.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-39.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-40.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-41.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-42.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-43.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-44.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-45.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-46.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-47.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-48.jpg

PaulAstonMartinDBS-49.jpg

[video=youtube;31lRE5FSmqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lRE5FSmqY&hd=1[/video]

Thanks for looking. I have a bit of video to upload over the weekend just showing the final walk around once the car was all complete.

Sorry its a long one..

Nathan

Last edited:
Awesome car, so good looking.

Great job too, love the pics. That blistering looked liked a 'mare to remove, terrible shape for such a new car with so few miles.

Absolutely amazing that. Gunmetal really does look fantastic when its right. Lovely car that.

Awesome car, so good looking.

Great job too, love the pics. That blistering looked liked a 'mare to remove, terrible shape for such a new car with so few miles.

Unfortunately I cant be 100% sure it was on there from the factory although the fact it wasn't on the glass or plastics and was right up under the numberplate surround as well makes me think it wasn't something as simple as sap??

Back