Bangin Tunes!

Moz

Banned
People,

I'm at a loose end with my music collection! It seems that whatever I swap out my 6 CD's in the Changer for, within 10 mins of my next journey I have flicked through each one and got bored of them!!

I think its time to broaden my music horizon a tad and check out some new material.

I'm at a crossroads though, as at the age of 32 I am still hanging onto a desire to listen to the likes of The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, The Beastie Boys, Hip Hop etc.

Should I be accepting age and moving on into more 'middle aged' tunes/bands etc ?!

All the old Dance Music etc that I used to listen to in my Clubbing Days really sounds quite wank these days too.

I bought the Best Of Massive Attack the other day and that was pretty good.

Got any ideas People ? - I want a natural progression from my faves listed above that will give me some scope to refresh my CD collection, but without going too diverse as I'm not ready for some of the shite that you oldies on here are into.

I am open to suggestions..... :)

Steve,

Congratulations - you've reached the age of 'ear maturation' . This is when you move from being music oriented to that of the lyrics - you'll now start hearing just how bad some of the stuff you used to like is.

Stick with the Hip Hop/Rap stuff as , lyrically, that's up there with the best of them. I would recommend Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash as well (though you'll probably think it's music to commit suicide to ;) ). Frankly, listening to House music is a bit common these days - it's the sort of stuff you hear coming from the bedrooms of housing association places.

I buy some of the 'old' stuff every so often too and also have 'Collected', btw ... good album.

James.

I bought a load of Groove Armada stuff the other day too - that was right up my street.

I do like my Hip Hop though (mainly the old stuff)

Keep the ideas coming Chaps, I'll get on CD-Wow this afternoon and order a load of new CD's based on your recommends.

OK - Notorious BIG , Duets the final Chapter
Nas - Stillmatic
Kasabian- Kasabian (also available as a Live Album which is pretty good)

Is James the ONLY person that listens to music on here ?

Or are the rest of you just too old to add any value to this thread ? :confused:

Not had much in the way of input here....COME ON YOU LOT!

Mosi said:
Is James the ONLY person that listens to music on here ?

Or are the rest of you just too old to add any value to this thread ? :confused:

Not had much in the way of input here....COME ON YOU LOT!

I'm a typical Radio 1 listener, generally tracks catch my interest and I go from there. So Gnarls B, Snow Patrol, RHCP, Pink, Gwen Stefani, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas, Eurotrashy Dance. But my old skool dance still brings a smile to my face!

Old favs like DM, Faithless are always present in the car.

Damian

Music tastes vary massively... so it's hard to tell someone what to listen to when they give you: The Prodigy, The Beasties and Hip Hop.

Hell, I've got Rob Zombie and Johnny Cash in my CD collection, why doesn't someone tell me what CD I should buy on Amazon next :rolleyes: ;)

Steve, it sounds like you like 'beat' driven music but not high BPM stuff hence your leaning away from Dance Music.

So, here are some recommendations: -

Mellow - Chilled - or Just Generally not Hectic

Jack Johnson
Blue States - Nothing Changes Under the Sun
Conjure One
Global Communication - 76:14
Weekend Players - Pursuit of Happiness
Dirty Vegas
[new] A-Ha... surprisingly good and very non-keyboards

Up-Tempo - Rocky - Faster - Heavier

Kasabian
Snow Patrol
[new] Depeche Mode album
Blink 182 - Blink 182 (this album is stupidly good)
Gorillaz - proving Damian Albarn actually can do something other than pop-whine
Jamiroquai - new CD pretty reasonable
Jesus & Marychain - best of... feedback kings
Pearl Jam - new CD is supposed to rival 10 in the best CD they've made race
The Killers - if you missed their CD the first time around

That's a start

Cheers Simon, your input is appreciated as ever :) (apart from when you start waffling on about ISO & REC that is! :p )

I do like something with a good baseline in it ... something that really stretches these high end stereo's with subs etc that are often standard fit in high end cars nowadays

Mosi said:
Cheers Simon, your input is appreciated as ever :)

:finger

If you want, I'll put some some stuff on a few disks, so you have some samples and give them to you when we meet up next

nomis said:
:finger

If you want, I'll put some some stuff on a few disks, so you have some samples and give them to you when we meet up next

Yeah why not, much appreciated. Its my shout next time too, so I'm sure you'll be on the blower when you get hungry again! :)

Damian, Simon - DM fans! There is a god!

Steve, if you like Groove Armada, try some old Morcheeba, Leftfield, Goldfrapp, Cafe Del Mar, Faithless, Royksopp or even some of the Ministry of Sound Chillout albums are ok.

I've got a really varied taste as well but current stuff I like is Depeche Mode (although 101 is still an all time great), Snow Patrol, Raconteurs, Kings of Leon, new Nine Inch Nails and new Kate Bush if you want something VERY different

Old favs, Prodigy, Foo's, Radiohead, Jamiroquai, Depeche Mode, Cure, Killers, Strokes - there are loads, just depends on your mood!

James S said:
Damian, Simon - DM fans! There is a god!

Steve, if you like Groove Armada, try some old Morcheeba, Leftfield, Goldfrapp, Cafe Del Mar, Faithless, Royksopp or even some of the Ministry of Sound Chillout albums are ok.

I've got a really varied taste as well but current stuff I like is Depeche Mode (although 101 is still an all time great), Snow Patrol, Raconteurs, Kings of Leon, new Nine Inch Nails and new Kate Bush if you want something VERY different

Old favs, Prodigy, Foo's, Radiohead, Jamiroquai, Depeche Mode, Cure, Killers, Strokes - there are loads, just depends on your mood!

James,

I have all the Morcheeba stuff (I partied with them till 4am in the morning once, but thats another story!), got Leftfields stuff too as well as Faithless.

I have a load of MOS material, but not the Chill Out stuff - so I will go check it out.

Cheers for the advice :)

Mosi said:
James,

I have all the Morcheeba stuff (I partied with them till 4am in the morning once, but thats another story!)

Sounds like a story that has to be told one day!

Mosi said:
I have a load of MOS material, but not the Chill Out stuff - so I will go check it out.

Don't know if all of it is still in production?? 1 and 2 are particularly good (although quite old school chill out), so if you can't get them I'll burn them.

James S said:
Sounds like a story that has to be told one day!

Don't know if all of it is still in production?? 1 and 2 are particularly good (although quite old school chill out), so if you can't get them I'll burn them.

A burn of that CD would be greatly appreciated James :)

Morcheeba Story summarised:

In 2002 Myself & The Missus stayed at the newly opened Lowry Hotel in Manchester City Centre and I booked the Charles Fort Suite (£1300 a night jobby) for a Sat night. The CF suite comprises 2 large bedrooms / en-suites / dressing rooms and a large living area with Grand Piano / Lounge Area / Kitchen area (for when outside caterers are in cooking for private parties staying in the suite etc).

Anyway, after a big night out in Manchester we end up in the residents bar and befriend a newly married couple (& Their Party of Friends) and decide to treat them on their wedding night by throwing a bit of a party back at the CF suite. I ordered loads of booze up and some scran and we got the music going etc.....next thing we know the whole of the band Morcheeba have joined in (they had just finished a gig in Manchester) and they are letting rip on the piano and jamming! One of them was in the kitchen area with a five pound note up his nose ;) and the rest were getting pissed with us and having a good sing along. It was a good night - they were really nice people.

Ozric Tentacles - The Hidden Step. Utterly brilliant.

Then, the best ever album in der world, ever ever ever - Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide.

Mosi said:
A burn of that CD would be greatly appreciated James :)

Morcheeba Story summarised:

In 2002 Myself & The Missus stayed at the newly opened Lowry Hotel in Manchester City Centre and I booked the Charles Fort Suite (£1300 a night jobby) for a Sat night. The CF suite comprises 2 large bedrooms / en-suites / dressing rooms and a large living area with Grand Piano / Lounge Area / Kitchen area (for when outside caterers are in cooking for private parties staying in the suite etc).

Anyway, after a big night out in Manchester we end up in the residents bar and befriend a newly married couple (& Their Party of Friends) and decide to treat them on their wedding night by throwing a bit of a party back at the CF suite. I ordered loads of booze up and some scran and we got the music going etc.....next thing we know the whole of the band Morcheeba have joined in (they had just finished a gig in Manchester) and they are letting rip on the piano and jamming! One of them was in the kitchen area with a five pound note up his nose ;) and the rest were getting pissed with us and having a good sing along. It was a good night - they were really nice people.

I had a private session evening with Morcheeba in Docklands last year. Launch of the Nokia N series to the trade. 50 people in a small warehouse. Brilliant.

It's just part of the process....

Last edited:
Back