They speak English in London ????

Glenn Mc

Administrator
Staff member
:alright: :wall

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

(Advertisement)

The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.

"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

I suspect that this could be a good time to search out the "Americans are NOT Stupid(with Subtitles) " on Youtube!!

It's shocking that someone can go through a "College" Education and not know that London, the Capital of England, is in England and has English as its language... sigh...

What is it with the Yanks?? There is a big ole world out there. Reminds me when that 'gangsta' rapper Ja Rule visited South Africa, and on being told he was going to visit Soweto, he asked what nightclub that was! :tosser:

I don't know that it is so bad.
You have people here (such as a certain Ms. Goody) who are not that knowledgable about their own country. Ask most people in the south to point to Newcastle, or Leeds, or Glasgow, or Aberdeen on a map and I am not sure how many could do it.
When you consider that the US has individual states that are bigger than the UK, and just remembering the 50 states and their capitals and where they are is not that easy, the rest of the world is less important.
Although we think of oursleves as super important, in the US they look east probably more than west, since China and Japan are their biggest trading partners.
The old world at the moment is also expensive due to the weak pound.

Whilst it is depressing, since I had hoped the internet and free access to almost unlimited information would help people to be more educated, it is not surprising.
We should also be careful to put our own house in order before throwing stones.
Our literacy rates are poor by developed world standards and I believe worse than they were 100 years ago.

Although we think of oursleves as super important, in the US they look east probably more than west, since China and Japan are their biggest trading partners.
The old world at the moment is also expensive due to the weak pound.

Stuart - I think you may need to work on your geography! :rofl:

What is it with the Yanks?? There is a big ole world out there. Reminds me when that 'gangsta' rapper Ja Rule visited South Africa, and on being told he was going to visit Soweto, he asked what nightclub that was! :tosser:

I left SA in Nov '89 so missed events like this but that made me laugh. I used to work for Cargo Motors [Trucks] and of course needed to go into Soweto & Tembisa to sell buses etc. The one to avoid was Alexandria which was the murder capital of Jo'burg....

I miss the fun & games of SA and was fortunate to only be burgled once.

Allan

It's best to act dumb and the run:D

I tried to act dumb with Hong Kong airport police when caught with 110 Lithium Ion batteries in my hand luggage a couple of weeks after they were banned from carriage (unless packed correctly, unknown to me). It did not work well.

"You ain't getting my batteries!!!!" (picturing stuart making a run for it) :D

Back