theshinexperience: Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4SV

Roy

Hello All,

This was a full correction job that took place a couple of weeks ago.

I arrived at about 7am to start on what was going to be a full correction detail and then topped off with Swissvax Mystery Wax.

I didn't bother with before photos as time was a pressing factor and it wasn't that dirty beforehand anyway.

The car was pre soaked with P21S Auto Wash and then washed using Zymol Clear Auto Bathe.

Once washed the car was then clayed, there weren't really that much in the way of bonded contaminants but there were several rough areas of paint so the whole car was clayed using Sonus Green Clay. The heavier tar deposits were removed using Autosmart Tardis.

The car was then dried and taped up ready for the correction process.

AlfaBrera005.jpg

AlfaBrera007.jpg

Once taped up it was time to look at how bad the swirls were.

AlfaBrera010.jpg

They certainly weren't pretty and were really ruining the clarity of the potential paint finish.

Now this was the moment of truth, was it going to be nice soft Alfa paint or like the rogue few that I have encountered in the past with rock hard paint. The paint turned out to be pretty soft to be honest but there was the odd panel, including the roof that were much harder and also it didn't help that they were the parts with the paint readings at the lowest point on the car!

The paint thickness guage which is used for for seeing how much you paint have to play with was showing readings of around 70-100 microns across the car, with some areas in the mid 60s, so not exactly thick! Most new cars are around 150-200 so with readings that low I had to tread very carefully

AlfaBrera037.jpg

AlfaBrera032.jpg

AlfaBrera040.jpg

It always amazes me when doing details on the street how many people come up and talk to me. I think I ended up giving out 6 business cards and explaining to countless people what I was doing, which I'm more than happy to do.

So once the correction had been carried out it was then time to crack on with the rest of the job. The car was then cleansed using Zymol HD-Cleanse and then it was time for the wax, which as mentioned was Swissvax Mystery. A thin layer was applied using an applicator pad and left to cure, whilst this was happening I polished the four lovely Novitec exhausts and treated the tyres.

The glass was then polished with HD-Cleanse and so were the wheels.

Just before removing the wax from the paintwork I applied a layer of the same wax to the wheels and left that to cure.

Once removed the car was given a final wipe down with Zymol field glaze and checked with my 3M Sun Gun to make sure that there was no product smears present on the paintwork.

So here we are the final finished job..

AlfaBrera053.jpg

AlfaBrera054.jpg

AlfaBrera023.jpg

AlfaBrera011.jpg

AlfaBrera014.jpg

AlfaBrera025.jpg

AlfaBrera019.jpg

Well I hoped you enjoyed the write up, any questions please feel free to ask. As a fellow Alfa driver I'm trying to convince my fiancee that we should change the GTV for a Brera and so I waved the photos at her last night.

Thanks for looking.

Roy

Why do detailers all use blue masking tape ?

Is it just trendy or is there something special about it compared to the normal stuff ? :dontknow:

Hi Glen,

I have waxed a few ventureshield coated cars in the past. You should be able to use a decent wax as if you were just doing normal paintwork.

Roy

Hi Clive,

Most detailers use the same tape, it is 3M 3434 High performance masking tape. I use it because it is low tack and can be applied to paint and trim without any worries. It also doesnt leave a sticky residue.

Roy

It depends on the wax, if you are using one of the Carnuaba based waxes then you would need to prepare the paint for the wax, so using something like Zymol HD-Cleanse or Swissvax Cleaner Fluid.

In terms of washing, just use a good quality car shampoo. For example Meguiars is a good quality one that is readily available.

I buy a lot of stuff from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Roy

Your parking is pretty suspect ;-)

The cars looks fantastic (as does the Maybach BTW). How long does it take to clean a car like that when you have so many stages to go through?

Hi Kingsize,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not guilty of the rubbish parking luckily, it was my client who had already left it like that :-)

If it is a full correction job then depending on size of car and paint type then anything from 10-25 hours. If the correction isnt needed then anything from 5-12 hours.

Roy

You would be amazed how bad the paintwork can be on a brand new car. Most dealers haven't got a clue how to properly prepare a car and as such they can be covered in swirls from the moment they leave the showroom.

Back