theshinexperience: A swirly beast of a Mercedes CL500

Roy

Hello all,

Well on Thursday I was booked in to look at a black Mercedes CL500. It was a slightly different correction detail to usual in that the customer didn't book for full correction, to fit with his budget we decided on a one stage correction to restore some gloss back to the paintwork.

In the end I reckon I managed to remove around 85% of the defects even just with the single stage correction.

The car has only covered 25,000 miles but it seems as if the previous owner used a brillo pad to clean it as you rarely see black paintwork looking and feeling this rough. Most of the car looked grey rather than black.

There are no before photos as the job was to be completed in one day and there was a lot of paint to correct.

Getting ready to be fully taped up

MercedesCL500001.jpg

Now you can see what I mean when I say swirly, this was by no means the worst panel.

MercedesCL500008.jpg

MercedesCL500009.jpg

So as you can see below the one stage correction made a huge difference to the paint. The left side has not been corrected and the right side has.

MercedesCL500013.jpg

MercedesCL500015.jpg

Every panel was absolutely covered in swirls, this was the passenger side front wing.

MercedesCL500023.jpg

This is the same panel after correction

MercedesCL500025.jpg

MercedesCL500027.jpg

MercedesCL500029.jpg

Now the bonnet was particularly bad, the paint looked so dull. Hopefully you can see below the 50:50 with half the bonnet corrected (left) and the other half still as it was (right. You should be able to see the line roughly down the middle.

MercedesCL500036.jpg

Now at this point the heavens opened for the next 4 hours but luckily the correction had already been carried out on the boot area.

MercedesCL500042.jpg

Ok so once all the correction was finished, it was time to prepare the car for the wax. I used Swissvax Cleaner Fluid to get the paintwork ready for a coat of wax. Todays choice of wax was Swissvax Mystery (Retail £300 per pot).

So here is the finished job, the owner was thrilled and it is was one of the most satisfying details of the last few months as the difference from start to finish was so dramatic!

MercedesCL500047.jpg

MercedesCL500052.jpg

MercedesCL500059.jpg

MercedesCL500062.jpg

MercedesCL500066.jpg

MercedesCL500069.jpg

As always thanks for looking and if you have any questions then just let me know,

Roy

Looks like one too many visits to the local Albanian immigrant handwash......:D Nice job sorting all that out in one day.

Back