Shimano derailleurs question

damian

Godzilla
Thanks to the wonders of modern air travel my new bike made it back into the UK in one piece however because it got partially dismantled my front derailleur needed to be 'realigned'. I looked at it and thought.....piece of piss, two screws, one cable etc etc easy! How wrong! Is there some strange devil worshipping that I need to do to get this properly aligned for all 20 gears?

I've downloaded all the Shimano Ultegra manuals and it seems so easy yet I always manage to get it to slightly rub on the chain.....am I in search of the elusive perfection that doesn't exist? Help :eek:

damian said:
Thanks to the wonders of modern air travel my new bike made it back into the UK in one piece however because it got partially dismantled my front derailleur needed to be 'realigned'. I looked at it and thought.....piece of piss, two screws, one cable etc etc easy! How wrong! Is there some strange devil worshipping that I need to do to get this properly aligned for all 20 gears?

I've downloaded all the Shimano Ultegra manuals and it seems so easy yet I always manage to get it to slightly rub on the chain.....am I in search of the elusive perfection that doesn't exist? Help :eek:

pink-bike-m.jpg

The screws will only have to be moved very slightly. If you move them too much it'll all be way out again. When is the chain rubbing?? Ideally need to know what's happening to help. Undoing the outer screw should enable the derailuer to move outwards i.e. towards the big ring. Try adjusting this slightly whichever way it needs to go. You ideally need the bike set into the gear where the chain is rubbing. Adjust slightly to stop rubbing and then see how it performs in the other gears. It's all trial and error but you'll become more familiar with the movements as you go on. Not sure if any of this helps but if you let me know exactly what's happening I can try to help. You also need adjustment in both screws, if ones on it's stops you'll strruggle. Good luck! Cheers

Kris
ps. It shouldn't rub, so you're not attempting the impossible!

Kristiano said:
The screws will only have to be moved very slightly. If you move them too much it'll all be way out again. When is the chain rubbing?? Ideally need to know what's happening to help. Undoing the outer screw should enable the derailuer to move outwards i.e. towards the big ring. Try adjusting this slightly whichever way it needs to go. You ideally need the bike set into the gear where the chain is rubbing. Adjust slightly to stop rubbing and then see how it performs in the other gears. It's all trial and error but you'll become more familiar with the movements as you go on. Not sure if any of this helps but if you let me know exactly what's happening I can try to help. You also need adjustment in both screws, if ones on it's stops you'll strruggle. Good luck! Cheers

Kris

ps. It shouldn't rub, so you're not attempting the impossible!

Thanks Kris,

I'm more than familiar with these screws now :wall

If I set it up for big/small (1st) and then go small/big (20th) it's fine, what I'm finding is that around 8th through to 10th I getting a slight rubbing, all other changes are perfect.

Also, I'm finding the rear derailleur doesn't like reverse pedalling in 11th/12th gears, I use 11th when stationary to pull away so I reverse pedal to align the crank ready to go.

I don't want to have to keep visiting bike shops when all I have to do is loosen a few screws....unless it's the one in my head!

Many thanks,

Damian

It sounds like the rear could do with some slight adjustment too. That's why you can't pedal backwards. Try looking from behind the bike and seeing how it all lines up when in the problem gears. You'll probably find that a slight adjustment to the rear will bring it into line. Cheers

Kris

Kristiano said:
It sounds like the rear could do with some slight adjustment too. That's why you can't pedal backwards. Try looking from behind the bike and seeing how it all lines up when in the problem gears. You'll probably find that a slight adjustment to the rear will bring it into line. Cheers

Kris

Kris, I'm still trying to work out these additional adjusters on the frame, they seem to have something to do with the tension in the cables...I think :confused:. The rear derailleur has an adjuster on it which I think helps line things up?

The ones on the frame will just be tensioners as you say but you can get some adjustment with these. Bare in mind though that once you change gear etc any adjustment made will effect the other gears. There are usually two adjustment screws on the rear deraileur to send it towards the frame/ wheel and away from the wheel. Make sure you don't over adjust though as you don't want the deraileur arm hitting the spokes in bottom gear! I would adjust the rear and sight each gear though. If the chain runs in line to the front chainrings in all gears, then leave that and concentrate on the front. Hope this helps

Kris

Gastro said:
Sounds like you need to go back to devil worship.........

PMSL :D :D

I'm beginning to think that too! With money I've spent could have had PSS9/JZM or KW v3 fitted on the Porsche :evil:

Back