SAAB files for 'bankruptcy'

seems to be first step of what looks a complete independence of gm europe incl opel/vauxhall etc
next step seems integration of vauxhall into opel

What 'cool' cars do SAAB actually make? None!

They are just dressed up Vauxhall Vectras with Dame Edna glasses for headlights. No wonder they're going pop. Their range is uninspiring to say the least.

For running the family around at weekends I found the 9-3 Aero wagon I had was ok, comfortable, safe and enoguh room for everything.

Shame if they go to ground.

I've said it before but the only way some of the larger car manufacturers will survive longterm is with globalisation and consolidation of their product ranges and brand names. Maybe we all need to start driving on the same size of the road too, to reduce costs even further :D

James.

cars were great tanks that could motor on

wasn't their old 900 the only car allowed to race in the US without a roll cage because the standard bodyshell was deemed structurally as rigid?

technically yes.all same platform at leasr.corporately no as they are all held directly by gm europe in ch which may go under soon.

The management is the same, whilst Vauxhall has a UK MD, most of the decisions are made in Europe although alot of the senior guys in europe are Brits who have come from Vauxhall.

Vauxhall is just a brand, the cars are the same as Opel.

The management is the same, whilst Vauxhall has a UK MD, most of the decisions are made in Europe although alot of the senior guys in europe are Brits who have come from Vauxhall.

Vauxhall is just a brand, the cars are the same as Opel.

exactly.so if zurich goes under you have
vauxhall uk
opel ger
saab swe

all the brits return to uk,the ger to ger and then?
they have sucked all blood out of them,like enron did,like lehman did etc

you can keep them as independant units or keep technical integration via diff corporate integration

gm europe will be gone soon or do you think that ger gov will help and allow hq in ch?uk gov maybe but ger gov never.

exactly.so if zurich goes under you have
vauxhall uk
opel ger
saab swe

all the brits return to uk,the ger to ger and then?
they have sucked all blood out of them,like enron did,like lehman did etc

you can keep them as independant units or keep technical integration via diff corporate integration

gm europe will be gone soon or do you think that ger gov will help and allow hq in ch?uk gov maybe but ger gov never.

I've no idea about the corporate structure, it's difficult to see GM Europe going out of business, they make good product and appear to be well managed. There was an article in the FT about this a few months ago and they concluded that it was unclear whether GM Europe could survive if GM in the US failed, although I still think the US gov cannot afford to let GM go.

I would not be surprised to see GM Europe & Asia being sold off, I think the only thing stopping a sale would be finding a suitable buyer.

picture the scenario

you are a company car driver and you have the choice between:

a Vectra,
a Zafira,
a Cadillac BLS,
or a SAAB 9-3 Sportwagon,

suddenly the SAAB is quite attractive:D

Back