Product Review - Car-Lack68 Wheel Cleaner

Damon

King Kong
Tim @ CleanYourCar has been telling me how good the range of Car-Lack68 products are for sometime now but I've got so many products on the go I have never had the need to try them.

My stocks are getting a bit low so I decided to order some and see if Tim's confidence was justified.

I already have the Nano Systametic Care and Longlife Sealant, the Car-Lack68 equivalents of Klasse All-in-one and Sealant Glaze, but have never used them, as soon as the weather improves I'll be trying them on my car.

Today's parcel...

Carlack 68 - Shampoo
Carlack 68 - Polishing Paste
Carlack 68 - Scratch Paste
Carlack 68 - Wheel Cleaner
Carlack 68 - Plastic Care
Carlack 68 - Glass Sealing Kit
Carlack 68 - Special Cleaner
Carlack 68 - Detailing Clay
P21s Polishing Soap
303 High Tech Fabric Guard

It was pouring down most of the day so in a break between showers I got out and tried the Wheel Cleaner, Special Cleaner and P21s Polishing Soap..

This is the review of the Wheel Cleaner....

IMG_0140-vi.jpg

The wheel is on my car and wasn't heavily soiled, but the brake dust is from Pagid 29 pads and is not easy to shift.

IMG_0146-vi.jpg

Spraying from the supplied bottle is extremely fine so you don't use much to coat a wheel. It might be a tad too fine as it makes it a bit more difficult to apply the product to the inside of the wheel and brake calipers.

Wheels can take a long time to do as part of a detail so its always interesting to see how much a wheel cleaner will remove with no touch. The best I have seen for no touch is P21s' Wheel Gel (Red) and Clover Chemicals Virisol. Both of these shift a lot, but there is no avoiding agitation with a brush to get the wheel 100%.

I was sruck by how quick the product start working, straight away the process began

IMG_0147-vi.jpg

IMG_0148-vi.jpg

I let the cleaner work on the wheel for 3 minutes without agitating it to see how much it would take off with no touch.

IMG_0152-vi.jpg

IMG_0153-vi.jpg

I have to say I was very impressed.

IMG_0154-vi.jpg

IMG_0155-vi.jpg

All but the hard to reach or thicker deposits were removed without agitation.

IMG_0156-vi.jpg

IMG_0157-vi.jpg

So a quick spray to re-coat the wheel and then on with the brush. The remaining deposits came away very easily.

IMG_0159-vi.jpg

IMG_0160-vi.jpg

Rinsed down and dried wheel

IMG_0162-vi.jpg

IMG_0164-vi.jpg

One of the advantages of the fine spray is you can see what is deposits are left on the wheel as you work with the brush. Most of the other cleaners froth more and sometimes you can find bits you have missed when you rinse the wheel down.

Importantly, I am told the cleaner is completely safe on all materials, including aluminium.

It passed the test on my wheels with flying colours and I will certainly be using it in my details going forward.

At £7.95 for 500ml its not the cheapest, but when you consider the performance is comparable with the best wheel cleaners available it is excellent value for money at approx. 2/3 the price.

I have to say I didn't expect to find a wheel cleaner that matched the P21s but I think it does. I realise that would seem a bold claim, but in this one test I will stand by that statement.

I recommend you give it a try :tu

detailfinish rating = 10/10

Last edited:
So is this one of those 'safe' wheel cleaners that doesn't use acid, and won't eat into the paint ??

Will you try it diluted? If it cleared that much brake dust without agitation then there's definitely plenty of 'power' there :)

I believe it will take some off.

Its a bit of a can of worms wheel wax. The product manufacturers have identified the market for wheel waxes and sold good units imagine.

The finish looks good, but in my experience the longevity is suspect. I have tested 5 wheel waxes and sealants and found that none of them have any effect even after a few drives. Obviously the detailing retailers will dispute this as they are interested in selling their stocks. All I would say is I have no stock or product alliances and my findings are don't spend your money and more importantly your time waxing wheels unless your putting your car on a show stand.

I believe all wheel cleaners remove wax, so my approach is not to bother and keep them cleaned using a product like this one, P21S Wheel Gel or Virisol.

Hope this answers you question :)

Damon

Back