pro cycling

dontdobends

Boy Racer
For the cyclist out there Pro Cycling Magazine is fasinating reading this month, its got a 70 page feature of Greg Lemond it tells you in detail of his path to success and being a super star is not all a bed of roses. It goes on to tell you about his child abusehow his dad was a workaholic who rarely spoke to him and his son who beat Greg up on his 18th Birthday who was a drug addict already, after Greg's crusade against drugs. He suffered from depression and had an affair which then led to him splitting up from his wife. The Landis affair and his troubles with Armstrong didnt help, other interesting bits was his training techniques which was different from the European pro's at the time.

He was a fantastic cyclist and definitely won more than the3 tours if he wouldn't of got shot by his brother in law and he has still got 30 pellets in his body from the shot gun blast!!! One of the few guys to win the tour who wasnt on dope- well worth the read

I agree, a great read and a great champion. I believe he rode in last years Etape as well, its always refreshing to see ex champions still in love with their sport.

On a slight side note, for the last year I've been subscribing to cycling weekly and the thing that has surprised me the most is that they seem to take a sit on the fence attitude to drug taking in the sport. When they announced the departure of T-Mobile as a team sponsor, a company that has been supporting pro cycling for as long as I can remember, the mag gave them a pretty hard time.

The sport needs people like Greg Lemond and Paul Kimmage to keep reporting on what is actually going on in the peleton but their voices are still in a minority and they just seem to be viewed as bitter outsiders.

Yeah I think Greg was 701st out of 7000 in last years Etape, Im not sure but i think he said his son was 40th. It was strange the comic give TMobile such a hard time regarding the pull out, I was at a training camp 10years ago at Club Lasanta and I was riding with Robert Miller and he was telling me that the drugs are just rife througout the bunch and he said its all about the money, if you are a domestic you only get about 25grand but if you are a top rider on the jungle juice you can put a zero on the end of that. I think it is still killing the sport if you get caught it should be a life ban end of story.

Yeah I think Greg was 701st out of 7000 in last years Etape, Im not sure but i think he said his son was 40th. It was strange the comic give TMobile such a hard time regarding the pull out, I was at a training camp 10years ago at Club Lasanta and I was riding with Robert Miller and he was telling me that the drugs are just rife througout the bunch and he said its all about the money, if you are a domestic you only get about 25grand but if you are a top rider on the jungle juice you can put a zero on the end of that. I think it is still killing the sport if you get caught it should be a life ban end of story.

I did that Etape last summer, and it was a killer, even at my age, he did very well indeed....

There was a documentary on about him when i was in the states a few years ago, never realised he came back from being shot :eek:

Back