Pesky Kamikaze Bugs!

Moz

Banned
People,

As my love affair with the Lambo has resulted in me actually washing my own car for the first time since I last fell deeply in love with a Mitsi Evo V in 1998, I am getting to grips with having to deal with this whole car washing ritual thingy.

My question is, how do I get these friggin kamikaze bugs off my front end for good ?

Is there some magic potion that I can procure from Halfords to do the job for me ?

I can get most of their entrails off, but I seem to be getting left with little residue patches where the little blighters refuse to be budged from!!

Ideas ? Advice ? Pointers please ?

Wash with whatever, but use a small sponge pad with the nylon netting over it. Gets those little critters off without scratching the paint.

;)

Mosi said:
People,

As my love affair with the Lambo has resulted in me actually washing my own car for the first time since I last fell deeply in love with a Mitsi Evo V in 1998, I am getting to grips with having to deal with this whole car washing ritual thingy.

I am in a complete state of shock :eek: :D

It's easy Steve, but probably not what you want to hear.

Step 1: make sure you properly polish and wax your paint and give it a good layer of protection. The better the quality of this detailing, the easier it will be to remove the critters

Step 2: only use a good non-detergent car wash solution within a bucket of warm water and then use a microfibre towel repeatedly rubbing the paintwork lightly. Don't press hard otherwise you may scratch the paint (and remove the wax). Take your time. Initially it will seem like nothing is happening, but after you've gone over the same area 3-4 times the bugs will literally slide off. Don't be tempted to use anything abrasive or any trick compounds which claim to dissolve them off - that's not the only thing they will dissolve.

Step 3: If you're finding that step 2 just doesn't seem to work, then you've probably made a hash of step 1 or it's been so long ago that you've rubbed washed most of the wax/protectant off

Step 4: If none of these steps appeal to you, then call Ben.

p.s. the residue patches will either come off by using a clay bar, or may need a good machine polish since they've contaminated the top layer of lacquer.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies Chaps, appreciated.

Steve, I will get Ben out again in due course but the car had a full all over machine polish in March and therefore is in good order bar these blighters that have decided to end their own short lives by flying into my car at circa 150mph+ (combined speed! - these things fly quickly! ;) ). Its just the front bumper and bonnet that has become a graveyard.

They will come off Steve, just take a bit of patience. Don't use a sponge, but use either a microfibre cloth or lambswood mitt, they're much more effective at removing insect debris without spoiling the paint surface (also quicker than a sponge).

I know this is probably car-wash heathenism... but can't you use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Removed from Halfords? Spray it on, leave it for a minute or so, and then wipe it off? ;)

nomis said:
I know this is probably car-wash heathenism... but can't you use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Removed from Halfords? Spray it on, leave it for a minute or so, and then wipe it off? ;)

I doubt that Steve would lower himself to go to Halfords - its awfully working class don't you know ;) :D

Gastro said:
I doubt that Steve would lower himself to go to Halfords - its awfully working class don't you know ;) :D

Steve uses what works but I also know that Steve used to be Time-Rich and is now not so... hence he'll probably enjoy his 9-hour polish-offs :p even less and less as the weeks go on... (and thus end up taking the quick route to a clean car, which is Bug & Tar remover! :finger )

Gastro said:

No, I would go to Halfords as long as I can wear a paper bag over my head.

I dont want to bump into Gastro whilst he is salivating over the Nurburgring Sticker Section!

:anon:

Mosi said:
No, I would go to Halfords as long as I can wear a paper bag over my head.

I dont want to bump into Gastro whilst he is salivating over the Nurburgring Sticker Section!

:anon:

ROFL :D

Mosi,

Simple way to get rid of insects is to use lengths of sellotape to cover the area most likely to be affected. Wait until it is time to wash the car and then just remove the sellotape strips. Voila! - no more insect splats (and less car to wash). I sometimes just cover the whole are car in sellotape to save even more time (or, better still, buy one of those car covers and cut a windscreen sized hole out of it and use that instead)

Plenty more handy hints where that one came from ... ;)

James

David,

I'm a bit of a sellotape snob. I much prefer the slightly opaque Scotch stuff as you can see it easily and it's easy to peel off. Some of the cheap stuff available in Woolworths and other such stores occupied by the unemployed, tends to lift the paint when peeled off.

I'm thinking of trying that 'invisible plaster' spray on stuff you see in the adverts as that sounds like it should work a treat.

EDIT: Actually, Nomis works for a stationary shop or something like that (he's the delivery boy, isn't he?)..maybe he can get all this stuff at a discount ? (with a few biros thrown in for good measure...you can never have too may pens)

James.

Last edited:
Perhaps while you're sourcing some very good sellotape(tm) or ScotchTape(c) you could find out if he does them really big bulldog clips.. I'm hoping they'll be enough to hold on my new exhaust and replacement headers. And thats if he's not too busy getting everybody's tea and coffee.. and polishing the bosses ............... car.

;)

DMC said:
Perhaps while you're sourcing some very good sellotape(tm) or ScotchTape(c) you could find out if he does them really big bulldog clips.. I'm hoping they'll be enough to hold on my new exhaust and replacement headers. And thats if he's not too busy getting everybody's tea and coffee.. and polishing the bosses ............... car.

;)

Actually a friend of mines missus works for 3M who , as you know own the scotch(R) brand who make both the scotch(R) tape and scotchgard(tm) . I'll see if we can get a group discount - though they don't do pens which is a bit of a pisser.

James.

nomis said:

Where's that 'smack' smilie ? :wall

I bet you also fall for those washing powder adverts that claim to biologically clean your clothes leaving them better than ever... ;)

Repeat after me.... Soap, Water, Soap, Water, Soap, Water, Soap, Water, Soap, Water, Soap, Water...

jcremonini said:
EDIT: Actually, Nomis works for a stationary shop or something like that (he's the delivery boy, isn't he?)..maybe he can get all this stuff at a discount ? (with a few biros thrown in for good measure...you can never have too may pens)

James.

I work in the mail room, so have no access to stock :(

Wipe with wet chamois a few times.
It gets the worst off. It's easier if it has been raining, since they are nice and soft.

I can't be bothered to remove every trace, it takes a couple of hours for just the bumper.
The front bumper is shagged from all the stone chips/dents anyway and the bloody flies are all back again within a day.
Claying once a year gets the bumper clean enough.
As long as it is waxed well enough, they don't stick too much.

I keep the bonnet clean though.

If you are going fast enough the flies just leave a line on the bonnet, rather than a splat mark.
It's funny when you get splat marks on the rear wheel arches (doesn't happen often). You would think they are not flared that much and the air pressure would push the insects clear.
If you hit something big, like a good sized moth, and the window is open, I have been sprayed with bug juice before. It's not so pleasant.

The motorcycle mateys must get the visor covered, unless they get down below the fairing.

Last edited:
Back