One year on from 7/7/05

damian

Godzilla
Let's spare a few moments to remember what happened last year and our thoughts go out to the families of those affected by those tragic events.

Phatgixer said:
Yes, poor souls.

Suggestions as to how to stop a similar outrage happening again? :confused:

almost impossible mate, anyone of us could do this anytime anywhere.:(

As life in general becomes safer, these incidents stand out far more.

In the past people used to die in industrial accidents, diseases were more prevalent, life expectancy was shorter and there were more deaths through conflict.
Our society is becoming very risk averse, with a tendency always to look for someone to blame for everything.

Whilst I do not mean to make light of what hapenned, and I sympathise with those affected, we still need to keep things in perspective.
There is no way really to be safe, but the level of risk is rather low.
Although common sense should apply, in general I see no reason to modify my life. And I certainly do not worry about it.
The threat from the IRA was far higher, IMO.

As soon as one group fades, another rises to replace it.

Places which are seen to be safe, are just places where nothing has happened yet, but are just as risky. Sharm el Sheik proves this - it was considered safe, since no-one had attacked it. This just means that it is a soft target.
Places which have just been attacked are seen as more risky, when IMO they are less so, since places are not often attacked twice. Just because some time passes, it does not mean that the risk is reduced, i.e. people are vigilent for a short period then become complacent when nothing happens for a while. It is when people become complacent that the risk rises.

In general people do not judge risks well.

Stuart said:
As soon as one group fades, another rises to replace it.

Too true.

There's always another Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden lurking around the corner.

Phatgixer said:
Yes, poor souls.

Suggestions as to how to stop a similar outrage happening again? :confused:

Military coup with me in charge.

First thoughts, cars are banned and everyone has to ride Honda C50 until they prove themselves. Then they can have a gixxer or a car with at least 150 bhp per ton. Unlimited M'ways with one major offense which is 'failure to not move to an empty lane to your left fast enough'. This would allow traffic police (we'll have more of them driving 1.7 diesel astras, supported by helicopter gunships) to sniff out ole Johnny terrorist!

How about that for a starter for 10?

While I have been writing the above the note has turned somber, I am / have been involved in various connected activities and appreicate the serious side, it is just a little humour keeps people going in tough times...

I hope I'm not seen as being inappropiate, cheers guys & gals....

Nords said:
While I have been writing the above the note has turned somber, I am / have been involved in various connected activities and appreicate the serious side, it is just a little humour keeps people going in tough times...

I hope I'm not seen as being inappropiate, cheers guys & gals....

Not at all Kier, many of us will have the luxury of our armchairs you will be pretty much at the front line come January, if you can't inject a little humour than who can? :)

damian said:
Not at all Kier, many of us will have the luxury of our armchairs you will be pretty much at the front line come January, if you can't inject a little humour than who can? :)

I second that :tu

Gastro said:

Thanks Simon!

Did you watch that programme last night on the Beeb, what really horrified me was (apart from the events) was that none of the survivors were visited by any members of the Government offering help or assistance. One of the survivors, an Australian was visited by the Australian PM who flew in from Canberra :wall

damian said:
Thanks Simon!

Did you watch that programme last night on the Beeb, what really horrified me was (apart from the events) was that none of the survivors were visited by any members of the Government offering help or assistance. One of the survivors, an Australian was visited by the Australian PM who flew in from Canberra :wall

Our goverment all over though isn't it, probably to busy playing croque in there country houses or shagging secretaries to deal with what really maters

I've certainly been thinking about those people that lost their lives and also those that survived, the terror they must have experienced is totally beyond my comprehension.

Rest in peace all those that died.

God bless all those involved.

Nords sometimes you have to laugh or you'd never stop crying; so I'm certainly not adverse to a bit of humour getting us through.

Back