Nissan GTR R35 detailed

jk83

Boy Racer
[video=youtube;488z37fpFTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=488z37fpFTc[/video]

This owner contacted me before xmas as he was unhappy with the finish on his solid red GTR. When I inspected the car I was shocked at how soft the paint was and how easily it marked, even with just a clean finger wiped with little pressure across a clean panel.

This being the first red GTR I have worked on I'm not sure if this is a one off or if all the solid colour GTRs suffer from this but I can see why so many GTR owners have been complaining to Nissan as even now this car has been detailed... I hold out little hope it will stay swirl free past its first wash.... which is a shame as freshly detailed the colour looks amazing!

Car was dropped off last week and washed, clayed, de tar'd etc. Polishing wasn't difficult as such with the soft paint. All the defects came out with 1 - 3 hits of Menzerna 106FA (a mild finishing polish for those who are not familiar with the numbers), I just needed to make sure they were fully broken down and the pad was not worked at any kind of angle at all otherwise I was left with buffer trails everywhere on the soft paint.

Before
PaulsNissanGTR-01.jpg

After
PaulsNissanGTR-02.jpg

Before
PaulsNissanGTR-03.jpg

After
PaulsNissanGTR-04.jpg

Before
PaulsNissanGTR-05.jpg

After
PaulsNissanGTR-06.jpg

Before
PaulsNissanGTR-07.jpg

After
PaulsNissanGTR-08.jpg

With correction going well I thought I would try applying some Blackfire sealant to a panel by hand on a new, clean, moistened megs applicator pad.... not exactly a hard, rough, scratchy pad! Sure enough exactly what I was worried about had happened and I was left with very fine marring lines after removing the sealant.

Panel was re polished and then sealant re applied by megs G220 DA machine on a 3m black finishing pad. This seemed to work better but again highlights how sensitive this paint is!!

3 coats were applied in all over the 7 days I had the car. Wheels and Exhausts were sealed with blackfire metal sealant and tyres were dressed with blackfire tyre get. Interior detailed and leather conditioned, engine cleaned and dressed, glass cleaned and one of the most frustrating jobs ever was finished. 35hrs working time.

PaulsNissanGTR-09.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-10.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-11.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-12.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-13.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-14.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-15.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-16.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-17.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-18.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-20.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-21.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-23.jpg

PaulsNissanGTR-24.jpg

Thanks for looking

SOME NEW OUTDOOR PHOTOS FROM YESTERDAY

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-01.jpg

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-02.jpg

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-03.jpg

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-04.jpg

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-05.jpg

PaulsNissanGTRoutside-06.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good in red.

Great Job.

How far south to you come?

I can work anywhere really. Done jobs in Bournemouth and Edinburgh before but were for multiple cars and included accommodation costs etc. If i can work it in with visiting friends though.... give me an email with the car and location and I can give you a quote etc.

Soft paint - reminds me of my old red WRX. It was so soft you'd swear it hadn't dried yet.
It really would mark with a finger nail. :(

Excellent work, it looks stunning, especially in red. 35 hours! :eek:

Soft paint - reminds me of my old red WRX. It was so soft you'd swear it hadn't dried yet.
It really would mark with a finger nail. :(

Excellent work, it looks stunning, especially in red. 35 hours! :eek:

Thanks..

35 hrs... well part of that is having to re polish panels that got marked after the initial polish and part is because its actually a much bigger car than it seems in photos.

I'm pleased with the end result though.

Im afraid Nissan are well known for shite paint quality. I had 2 350Z's and they were really soft.

Im afraid Nissan are well known for shite paint quality. I had 2 350Z's and they were really soft.

Can't see what the paint work is like on my 350 as since picking it up in the middle of Nov ( when it was dirty ) it has been washed once just beffore Christmas by some Polish and thats it and even then it was dark LOL. Selling it at the end of the month so it will get a wash then and I will see what state the paint is in but I haven't seen any new stone chips and I am always hearing stones bounce off it down country lanes so I doubt it can be that bad:dontknow:

Can't see what the paint work is like on my 350 as since picking it up in the middle of Nov ( when it was dirty ) it has been washed once just beffore Christmas by some Polish and thats it and even then it was dark LOL. Selling it at the end of the month so it will get a wash then and I will see what state the paint is in but I haven't seen any new stone chips and I am always hearing stones bounce off it down country lanes so I doubt it can be that bad:dontknow:

You may have got a good one, but they are renowned for it. My second one wasnt too bad, but the first one was peppered in chips in a matter of weeks.

Back