Mercedes SL65 AMG - 215mph bruiser

Damon

King Kong
The numbers, 660bhp, 0-60 in 3.8 secs, 0-100 in 8 secs and a top speed of 215mph !!!

IMG_0603-vi.jpg

So on to the detail.

The car has had a front-end respray after some 200mph winter autobahn fun with a mate in a Lamborghini. Readings were and incredible 240-280 microns. The rest of the car averaged about 170 microns.

Wheels

Using the Car-Lack68 wheel cleaner removed all of the usual grime. I really like this cleaner, its replaced P21S for me as it comes in at half the cost with equal performance.

IMG_0523-vi.jpg

IMG_0533-vi.jpg

This was only the beginning. It took a full hour to get these wheels to a condition I was happy with. I used APC, Tar and Glue remover, claybar and scrubbing to get the inners clean. It was becoming clear this was going to be a brute of a detail.

Wash
First part of the wash process was to treat the lower third of the car with Car-Lack68 Special Cleaner. Its a citrus degreaser in a gel form so sits on the bodywork well and loosens up the grime and tar spots.

IMG_0527-vi.jpg

I've recently bought a lot of Zaino products and found the Z7 Show Car Wash to be excellent. It is easily the best I have used. Very high levels of lubracy.

IMG_0531-vi.jpg

The exhaust tips were washed and polished with the P21S Polishing Soap and the harder deposits shifted with AG Metal Polish on fine wool.

IMG_0534-vi.jpg

Then onto the engine bay. The engine is huge!

IMG_0537-vi.jpg

The Car-Lack68 Special Cleaner came into its own, fantastic removal capabilities.

IMG_0538-vi.jpg

The engine bay was then lightly hosed and wiped down with an old Megs drying towel to remove the Special Cleaner and oil it had lifted.

All plastics and rubbers were treated with Swissvax Pneu and the carbon fibre cover waxed with Victoria Wax Collectors wax.

IMG_0540-vi.jpg

IMG_0547-vi.jpg

Interior
The leather had seen better days.

IMG_0558-vi.jpg

IMG_0559-vi.jpg

I wasn't phased by this as I knew that Gliptone's Liquid Leather would easily be up to the task, especially as it was now very hot which really helps the Liquid Leather work its magic.

Liberally applying the cleaner gel and working in with a soft nail brush brought out the dirt visibily in the fluid.

IMG_0561-vi.jpg

I tend to let it dwell on one seat whilst applying to another seat before returning to remove using a terry towel. But in the high temps and with the dryness of the leather it was necessary to remove immediately.

A tip is to use a terry towel rather than a microfibre cloth. MF will have a tendency to grip on the cleaner/leather and make it harder to remove. I have found the terry towel to be more effective as it has a little 'bite' of its own and that aids the removal process.

This was the towel before I started.

IMG_0563-vi.jpg

This was the towel afterwards

IMG_0567-vi.jpg

It shows how much grime gets into the interior and how well the Liquid Leather Cleaner works.

Once cleaned, I applied two coats of Liquid Leather Conditioner. The leather literally drank the fluid and returned to the soft matt factory finish.

Liquid Leather is one of my all time favourite products. It always makes a fantastic transformation of the interior and its something the customer really values.

The rest of the interior was cleaned with Sonus Cockpit Detailer. The mats were shampoo'd with the extractor, any stains removed with Chemical Guys Stain Extractor (fantastic product) and once dry all carpets protected with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard.

Paint correction
The paintwork was prepared using the Car-Lack68 Detailing Clay and once complete the extent of the swirls was easily seen in the now bright sunlight.

IMG_0552-vi.jpg

IMG_0554-vi.jpg

The car was then masked to begin the machine polishing process. It was a this stage the size of this car really began to show. Its only a 2-seater but it is the size of a BMW 5-series.

IMG_0568-vi.jpg

It was now 1230 and I was a clear 1.5 hours behind were I wanted to be. I try to be on the rotary by 1100 to ensure I don't have to rush. The sheer size of the car, the condition of the wheels and the leather had slowed me, so I was in for a long day.

I knew I was in for a car of two halves. The factory paint from the doors backwards, and the resprayed front wings, bonnet and bumper.

I decided to tackle the factory paint first as my gut feel was it would be harder. I was VERY right.

I tackled the boot lid first. Starting with Menzerna Final Finish (FF) PO106FA I worked up the Lake Country CCS pads starting from white, to green, to orange. The minor swirls were gone, but some of the deeper 'spiders' remained.

I moved to Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP) PO85RD 3.02 and cycled through the pads. I ended up getting the best results with the Orange pad, but it was also introduces very low levels of micro-marring.

Because of the size of the car I was determined not to have to have a two stage polishing stage so decided to try a Meguiars Polishing pad with the IP and bingo, perfect crisp finish.

Some before and afters....

IMG_0572-vi.jpg
IMG_0574-vi.jpg

IMG_0575-vi.jpg
IMG_0576-vi.jpg

When moving to the bonnet I retried my polish/pad combos and sure enough the paint was much softer and full correction was achieved on a Lake Country CCS white pad and FF PO106FA.

IMG_0579-vi.jpg

The sun went in whilst doing the bonnet, so for the after shots the best I could do was the halogen lamps.

IMG_0580-vi.jpg

IMG_0581-vi.jpg

Finishing
Once the paint correction was completed the car was wiped down and the paint work, rubbers, lights and glass cleaned using Swissvax Cleaner Fluid by rotary on a Pro-Detailing Final Finishing pad.

Then out with the wonderful Swissvax Divine.

Plastics and tyres dressed with Swissvax Pneu.

Glass finished with Meguiars NXT Glass Cleaner using a Pro-Detailing Dense Weave Microfibre Glass Cleaning Cloth. Its the first time I have used this cloth and its very good. Really glides over the glass well.

Finished pics

IMG_0582-vi.jpg

IMG_0583-vi.jpg

IMG_0587-vi.jpg

IMG_0599-vi.jpg

IMG_0600-vi.jpg

IMG_0601-vi.jpg

IMG_0602-vi.jpg

IMG_0607-vi.jpg

IMG_0615-vi.jpg

IMG_0616-vi.jpg

IMG_0618-vi.jpg

IMG_0620-vi.jpg

IMG_0621-vi.jpg

IMG_0625-vi.jpg

IMG_0630-vi.jpg

The end of the day brought rain and the opportunity for some beading shots.

IMG_0636-vi.jpg

IMG_0643-vi.jpg

IMG_0646-vi.jpg

My favourite shots that really show the best of the Swissvax Divine

IMG_0604-vi.jpg

IMG_0605-vi.jpg

IMG_0606-vi.jpg

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it :tu

Damon, thanks for the report. One question. Why does the car colour change so much in the pictures? Some make it look orange! Is it trying to join the club arancio?:scared:

I'm waiting for someone to photoshop the thing pink...:rolleyes:

Absolutely BRILLIANT! :thumbsup2:

Awesome detail Damon. :tu

There is now no doubt the car is definitely RED, not pink, orange or arancio (posh orange) ;) .

Awesome car too, Angus, I'd be having second thoughts if it was mine.

Angus its the combination of the light and the white balance applied in the processing. I could spend time getting them all individually adjusted, but don't have the time tonight :(

Love it.....superb car and a superb detail.

that phone call to you damon is getting closer.

Damon, thanks for the report. One question. Why does the car colour change so much in the pictures? Some make it look orange! Is it trying to join the club arancio?:scared:

I'm waiting for someone to photoshop the thing pink...:rolleyes:

Angus, welcome to the world of colour balance, what looks good on one screen when editing doesn't necessarily look good on others. One of the many reasons I prefer CRTs over TFTs.

Just found this on my account with fotki...

Your account has limited functionality now

Your account has been blocked due to exceeding its traffic limit.

Your account hard daily limit: 4500.0 Mbytes
Traffic used today: 8559.9 Mbytes (190.2 %)
The amount of the traffic your account can consime today has been exceeded.

The account will be unlocked tomorrow.

Member's account has been blocked

Member's account has been blocked by the system due to exceeding its traffic limit.
We apologize, please try viewing this page later.

No good. Have to wait I suppose... :(

Back