I made a great decision........

anissut

Ring Warrior
towards the end of last summer by getting air con fitted all around the house as here I am in our bedroom feeling nice and cool while on the laptop. More importantly the kids get to sleep comfortably as well.

Just thought I'd share that with you all as it feels like it would be a very stuffy night down here in London.

anissut said:
towards the end of last summer by getting air con fitted all around the house as here I am in our bedroom feeling nice and cool while on the laptop. More importantly the kids get to sleep comfortably as well.

Just thought I'd share that with you all as it feels like it would be a very stuffy night down here in London.

I reckon shares in an A/C company will be a sure bet in years to come, as thing get ever hotter.

The sun is on my bedroom all afternoon, until it goes down, and the heat from the brickwork is imense, and makes the room feel like a sauna:scared:

I have one of these portable A/C units for the summer, and leave it of timer for a good few hours, but the noise drives me nuts:(

G.

Alas, having a Grade 2 Listed 17th Century house I have no option on fitting air con. However as the walls are so mega thick anyway and the windows are so small (they built them like that 400 years ago) the house stays cool all day anyway - no probs. Its like air-con, but without the costs :)

These are the puppies we have. They look like hig end music systems on the wall :yum:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DELUXE-MIRROR-large_lge.jpg
    DELUXE-MIRROR-large_lge.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
Mosi said:
Alas, having a Grade 2 Listed 17th Century house I have no option on fitting air con. However as the walls are so mega thick anyway and the windows are so small (they built them like that 400 years ago) the house stays cool all day anyway - no probs. Its like air-con, but without the costs :)

Mine's not listed but being a thatched property with a really thick roof means that heat stays in our house in the winter, but stays out in the summer. So We never need to open windows when the weather is hot and the house always stays cool..

Mosi said:
Steve, all you need a two yoghurt pots in each room mate...

steved said:
Mine's not listed but being a thatched property with a really thick roof means that heat stays in our house in the winter, but stays out in the summer. So We never need to open windows when the weather is hot and the house always stays cool..

Do you stay in on Bonfire night ? :scared:

Amazing to think that we will see the largest demand for energy move from the winter to the summer...

I won't chill my house, Mr Veggie Sandal Wearer, as long as I can have a powerful car. Deal?

(pause- sound of a beard being scratched):evil:

Mosi said:

yep, same as my house too...but a little newer but the principle is the same :)

Gastro said:
Do you stay in on Bonfire night ? :scared:

We have a boycott on fireworks anywhere within 100yds of our house, although to be fair the 1m thick thatch is layered over a solid cover of fireproof panels, so insuring it isn't 'much' more than a normal roof.

I much prefer a thatched roof now compared to a conventional tiled roof, no guttering to worry about, it will last 60 years or so and as it ages it looks better. But it remains wonderfully cool despite ambient temperatures in the 80s. Brilliant!

just had the wife moan at me for not installing air con in our flat last summer, even after she was the one who stopped me from getting it installedafter having spent an age getting estimates...... her reasoning was that it was my fault for listening to her in that instance when apparanty I normally don't listen to what she says and just go ahead with what's best anyway !!! :rolleyes:

Sundeep said:
just had the wife moan at me for not installing air con in our flat last summer, even after she was the one who stopped me from getting it installedafter having spent an age getting estimates...... her reasoning was that it was my fault for listening to her in that instance when apparanty I normally don't listen to what she says and just go ahead with what's best anyway !!! :rolleyes:

She sounds remarkably like my wife. :eek:

Sundeep said:

I'd say thats carte blanche for the next 3 years anyway to do whatever you want !!! :D :D :D :D

Mosi said:

Mosi,
I own a Grade 2 17th Century listed barn and have just had a very subtle air con installation in our bedroom. Our place is very hot throughout the year, due to being very well insulated and having an Aga which heats the house all year round, even during summer :wall In the bedroom we have an ultra slim Panasonic unit high up on the wall, with the pipework running through the roof, so completely invisible. The outside condenser is also very neat (and quiet) and have just had a wooden housing built to shield it at the back of the house. Perfect job, and worth every penny, especially over the last couple of days. I am probably breaking several planning laws, but f**k 'em.:p

Cheers

Back