End of the road for the motor car marque

Sitting near four futuristic concept cars at BMW’s Munich headquarters, chief executive Harald Krüger says his company has no problem differentiating its products from the likes of arch-rival Mercedes-Benz.

How BMW feels and handles is based on drivetrain and software expertise that other manufacturers cannot deliver, he says. BMW’s Mini, for instance, “has an iconic driving feel”, while its Rolls-Royce cars are “like a magic carpet”.
But, in the next decade, product differentiation may become increasingly irrelevant as growing numbers of passengers using car-booking apps, such as Uber, Didi and Lyft, no longer care as much about the make or model of the vehicle.
Like the airlines, the carrier company may become more important to the consumer than the vehicle’s brand, with passengers often unaware whether they are flying in a Boeing or an Airbus.
Adapting to this change in consumer demand is one of the key challenges for the world’s leading carmakers. As vehicle ownership is expected to decline, the business is evolving into a race against the software groups to build new ecosystems that will be autonomous, connected, electric and shared.

“When we talk about mobility services, I don’t look to Munich or to BMW,” says Wilko Stark, head of strategy at Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz.
“We look to China — Didi, for example — we look to Uber and Lyft. We look at what Google is doing with [its self-driving car project] Waymo, and also Apple
is trying a lot of things. These are the new competitors.

Full article

https://www.ft.com/content/74e93632...Z19fLI-lVbsw087tKSbao8DeW5bZ6U&sharetype=gift

Look to China to see how to counterfeit and knock off everybody else's product and for the product to fall to pieces very quickly ...

This knob head is in a long line of knob heads that get passed the through the mincing machines of German Car manufacturers having listened to them in numerous product launches over the last twenty plus years.

As for people buying a car and not knowing or caring what it is ,total hogwash the Chinese are brand crazy have you seen the queues outside Louis Vuitton et al the legions of Mandarin speaking staff within...

I think he is mixing up two different things.
If I use something for transport from A to B, like a plane, I buy a ticket and how it gets me there is not that important as long as it is safe and roughly similar to the others.
Likewise if I use a taxi, I don't care too much about what brand of car it is.
But if I buy my own car (or plane) then I very much care about what it is.

The issue is really whether people will buy their own cars in the future.
Some seem to think they will just treat them like trains and planes and buy rides to where they want to go on an as-needed basis.
I don't really buy that, at least not any time soon, and not outside of city states.

Yup,and we all know what happened to the fookin Jonny Cab absolute hogwash ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 119
Back