Dodgy old boiler

Marko

Ring Warrior
No, not a reference to any ex's, but a description of my current household heating appliance which I think is now chucking out as much CO as it does hot water. :eek: So, it's replacement time.

However, having moved out of a rented place last year which was fitted with a combi boiler that could only heat a thimble of tepid water every 45mins and had the same pressure as a 50p water pistol when more than one tap was on, I'm not looking to recreate that condition now the house is mine.

I'm getting quotes and recommendations from various CORGI bods, but has anyone had to replace their boiler recently and can anyone recommend a good unit? It's a normal 3 bed semi by the way, so I'm not trying to heat Longleat! :D

We did the same 2 yrs ago when we moved into our cottage. Old boiler and Hot water cyclinder in the skip. New Potterton Promax condensing boiler and Mega Flo pressurised hot water tank installed. Superb result, mains pressure hot water and cold. Nice powerful shower and can fill a bath in mins.

Superb result, mains pressure hot water and cold. Nice powerful shower and can fill a bath in mins.
That's what I'm after! :tu My current set up is the old style tank and it's great for the bath as it's hot all the way to the last drop. When I was in the rented place, the combi there was good for about the first 2ins of bath water before it became just 'warm', it was bloody annoying.

How much steam does your condenser kick out? I'm lucky in that the best exterior wall has no-one direct next to it, the nearest property is about 30ft away.

I bought a combi boiler a few years ago..

2 years in it packed up and lo and behold. no guarantee !!! Fucking british gas .. the bastards..

Anyway we happened to have taken out a service plan(Which was a general home maintenance scheme- with ? you guessed it - british gas.. !) anyway.. cut a long story short new boiler courtesy of BG!!.. we left when it was 1 year old.. but i have to say.. they don't buid 'em like they used to!

Back