Cancel your credit cards before you die

Chris

Odin, Father of the North
This sounds like as good advice as don't rent a casket when you die. It's not just the government... Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is priceless, and so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank:

Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
Family Member: "Maybe you should turn it over to collections."
Citibank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
Family Member: "So what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
Citibank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"
Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
Citibank: "Excuse me?"
Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"
Citibank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."
Supervisor gets on the phone:
Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January."
Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"
Citibank: "Are you her lawyer?"
Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew."
(Lawyer info given)
Citibank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"
Family Member: "Sure." (fax number is given)
After they get the fax:
Citibank: "Our system just isn't set up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."
Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."
Citibank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."
Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?"
Citibank: "That might help."
Family Member: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."
Citibank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"
Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?"

This sounds like as good advice as don't rent a casket when you die. It's not just the government... Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is priceless, and so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank:

Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
Family Member: "Maybe you should turn it over to collections."
Citibank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
Family Member: "So what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
Citibank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"
Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
Citibank: "Excuse me?"
Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"
Citibank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."
Supervisor gets on the phone:
Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January."
Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"
Citibank: "Are you her lawyer?"
Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew."
(Lawyer info given)
Citibank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"
Family Member: "Sure." (fax number is given)
After they get the fax:
Citibank: "Our system just isn't set up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."
Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."
Citibank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."
Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?"
Citibank: "That might help."
Family Member: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."
Citibank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"
Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?"

Amex are just as bad, they won't let me cancel my card :wall

It makes sense to me - especially after a colleague got sued for breaking some ribs while resuscitating someone when they had had a myocardial infarct (heart attack)....... Nothing phases me these days to be honest.. :(

It makes sense to me - especially after a colleague got sued for breaking some ribs while resuscitating someone when they had had a myocardial infarct (heart attack)....... Nothing phases me these days to be honest.. :(

I thought it was a given that you would break ribs or the sternum applying chest compressions (CPR)....

Does the patient have brittle bones or something that may help your colleague in getting out of the law suit? I would have thought the fact that he had saved the person's life would be enough but maybe gather evidence of other patients who have all had ribs/sternum broken from CPR should help the case, IMO anyway.

Correct ! Good CPR should achieve that........... but that is the US for you :(

There was a legal case in California where an RN (registered nurse) refused to aid someone who had suffered a heart attack in a mall. They tried to sue her for not assisting and she cited (one of many such broken rib) cases and lost. They then appealed saying it was a no win situation and the choice she made was for the well being of the victim or her own well being as she was likely to be sued for doing either action. She won.

Now they have the "Good Samaritan Act" which indemnifies any individual who is trying to save the life of another. Strange you would need a law like that...

Last edited:
re amex I have the contact email of somebody in the executive office if you are having problems , pm me if so

Thats awful:(

My wife just got ALL her bank charges credited back to her account £1400 today!!!

It costs the bank/ cc companies too much to go to court so they just pay up. They lose everytime.

If you want your charges back write them a stern letter.Then write a second threatening court action. They will pay it all back upto 6 years back. Its sooooo easy:)
Si

Thats awful:(

My wife just got ALL her bank charges credited back to her account £1400 today!!!

It costs the bank/ cc companies too much to go to court so they just pay up. They lose everytime.

If you want your charges back write them a stern letter.Then write a second threatening court action. They will pay it all back upto 6 years back. Its sooooo easy:)
Si

I've got three court dates in June to claim back bank charges...

Back