Cambridge Autogleam: Porsche 997 GT3RS 3.8 detailed

jk83

Boy Racer
Evening.

I was going to put everything all in one loooooooooong thread.... but I've split it up and done a mini write up on the polisher and MF polishing system HERE for those that are interested... basically till now you have needed to correct with a rotary polisher to remove heavy swirl marks but Meguiar's have released a new microfibre disc and compound that seems to work much better than previous DA alternatives.

So in this thread I can just remind you to follow us on facebook and twitter again :wave:
or

...and plug a short vid I did the other day of the DBS I did some time back..

[video=youtube;31lRE5FSmqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lRE5FSmqY&hd=1[/video]

Full write up was HERE

...and finally do the write up for the GT3RS.... which also has a video ;)

[video=youtube;DIHwH5HsJ_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIHwH5HsJ_k&hd=1[/video]

You may notice the GT3RS decals are missing... well the owner hated them and also isn't a fan of the red accents so these have now been painted black, along with the wheels, a new black roll cage and new black seatbelts to match. Will update a photo next week.

Typical sticky porsche paint on this which is why i chose to use the new DA system.

The paint was polished with the D300 DA compound and a 5" cutting disc on the G220 DA polisher
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-14.jpg

Compared to the rotary which I tried on the bonnet, this cut down dust, heat and time significantly. On this paint the D301 finishing wax and finishing 5" DA disc didnt really work. It left it slightly hazy still so I chose to use a 6" Valet Pro foam finishing pad with Menzerna 106FA which left a crisp, sharp, marring and hologram free finish.

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-01.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-02.jpg

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-03.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-04.jpg

Its actually nice being able to get right into the edges without worrying the pad is going to pick up the tape residue like it sometimes does as well...

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-05.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-06.jpg

And in 1 hit the compound was able to deal with severe marring from where i had been rubbing down paint spots from where I had filled in lots of stone chips.

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-07.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-08.jpg

DA sanding marks were no problem too... these on the rear needed 2 hits with the D300 compound to remove

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-09.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-10.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-11.jpg

Before
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-12.jpg

After
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-13.jpg

The car was then given 2 coats of Menzerna Powerlock. The first by DA on a Lake Country Finishing Pad and then by hand
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-20.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-21.jpg

Plastic and rubber trim was given a layer of dodojuice tyre wax which actually works better on trim than tyres.
JohnPorsche997GT3RS-22.jpg

And the finished car...

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-23.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-24.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-28.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-29.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-30.jpg

JohnPorsche997GT3RS-32.jpg

[video=youtube;DIHwH5HsJ_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIHwH5HsJ_k&hd=1[/video]

As always thanks for looking and comment if you liked.... or indeed hated :)

Nathan

Back