Cambridge Autogleam: Porsche 993 turbo Correction Detail inc Video

jk83

Boy Racer
Afternoon. For some reason I decided to start on my massive back log of work to write up from the most recent first...

This was completed last week. Must say a massive thanks to the customer and his family. I stayed with them for 2 nights while I completed this and the hospitality, working environment, food, company etc couldn't have been better. The sun was out and it was a lovely car. In fact the only thing stopping this being the perfect job ended up being the paint!

You can keep up with my work on various social media sites. A follow or a like would be appreciated. There are also over 290 cars in my online portfolio now so have a browse

and now on instgram.

The owner bought the car in 2003 with 30k miles and then covered 40k miles over the following 11 years including all weather driving and track days etc. Mechanically the car wanted for nothing but it was starting to look a little tired so in January it was booked for a full respray and got new callipers, windows, rubbers, lights, spoiler insert, rear bumper, arch liners, heat shields etc etc. All that was left was a 'quick' detail.

You would have thought that fresh paint would be nice and easy to correct.... I also thought this!

I had good intentions of lots of photos and a more in depth video but that quickly went out the window when in the first day I only got 3 panels corrected

The paint didn't look TOO bad after a wash and then a panel wipe with an IPA mix. Just the usual DA sanding marks and rubbing lines but on the whole it was an excellent respray.

AlanPorsche993turbo-001.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-002.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-003.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-004.jpg

Unfortunately this is where the photos stopped as it took about 3 hours to correct each panel. The paint was so hard that menzerna FG400 or 3m Fast Cut Plus XL on either a wool or hard cutting pad barely made any impact. 2-4 hits of this were needed per section followed by 1-2 hits of Menz 106FA to refine were needed. Extremely frustrating and I've never experienced paint quite that hard before but after 32 hours (most of that polishing and working 9am-10pm on day 1, 8am - 11pm on day 2, 7am - 8am on day 3 and returning after another job to finish 3pm-6pm) it finally looked as a freshly painted car should.

All the wheels were removed, deep cleaned in and out with Auto Finesse Iron Out, clayed and machine polished, then IPA wiped and protected with Gtechniq C5. Callipers were also protected with the C5.

The paint was protected with Wolfs Bodyguard sealant

Again sorry for the lack of in depth photos.

AlanPorsche993turbo-005.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-006.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-007.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-008.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-009.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-010.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-011.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-012.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-013.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-014.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-015.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-016.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-017.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-018.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-020.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-021.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-022.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-023.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-024.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-025.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-026.jpg

AlanPorsche993turbo-027.jpg

There is also a quick walk around video. Change to 1080p for the best viewing.

[video=youtube;jdVHji8ulko]http://youtu.be/jdVHji8ulko[/video]

Thank you for looking.

Why was the paint so hard? Other than for detailing, it sounds like a good thing to have nice hard paint that will resist swirls and maybe stone chips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was the paint so hard? Other than for detailing, it sounds like a good thing to have nice hard paint that will resist swirls and maybe stone chips?

I've no idea and yes for the long term its a good thing its nice and hard.

Tell Alan, pleased to see he's still got the Porsche Teddy (has it's own part number).

Mrs Sidley has one and apparently they're worth £90,000 in today's climate of bonkers prices.

Really pleased with the result. I can't bring myself to drive it until I've installed the weather radar on it! I've never met anyone who works with such meticulous attention to detail! P.s, I didn't sit and watch the 'whole' time!

Thanks again Nathan!

Really pleased with the result. I can't bring myself to drive it until I've installed the weather radar on it! I've never met anyone who works with such meticulous attention to detail! P.s, I didn't sit and watch the 'whole' time!

Thanks again Nathan!

Your welcome. Apologies again it took so damn long.

but after 32 hours (most of that polishing and working 9am-10pm on day 1, 8am - 11pm on day 2, 7am - 8am on day 3 and returning after another job to finish 3pm-6pm) it finally looked as a freshly painted car should.
Oh how I don't miss this. Bloody hard graft, even writeup's are laborious!

Stunning motor and work. Time to get it over to Nick for PPF now! :D

Back