Cambridge Autogleam: Jaguar XJ220 Correction Detail with full Video

jk83

Boy Racer
Hello. Right well I posted the video up the other day and now this is the full write up..

You can keep up with my work on various social media sites. A follow or a like would be appreciated. There are also over 290 cars in my online portfolio now so have a browse

and now on instgram.

The video making lark takes AGES! Quite happy with this one though.

Change to 720p for the best viewing. Either click this link (http://youtu.be/Ckep9SYiTbc) or watch embedded in the window below.

[video=youtube;Ckep9SYiTbc]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckep9SYiTbc[/video]

This XJ220 was purchased when they first came out for £470k and owned till 2001 by the original purchaser, then 2001-2014 by the second owner and now by its 3rd owner and a good customer of mine. Its covered just 5000 miles in that time and has just had new fuel tank, new brake pipes, linings, fuel pipes etc as goes with the territory of a laid up car of this ilk.

This customer used to have an F40 and genuinely feels that this car back in its day was the better car, and by far.

Personally having recently worked on both this and an F40 this is certainly a better engineered car and feels loads more solid. The F40 feels like a poorly constructed kit car in comparison (although we still love them despite their flaws :) )

Anyway on with the detail...

A few random wash shots..

NickJaguarXJ220-001.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-002.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-003.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-004.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-005.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-006.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-007.jpg

The paint was pretty hard. Also being silver it was hard to show up the defects and I struggled seeing them with the Polished Bliss Clulite so had to resort to using the old brinkman because the yellow light showed them up lots better.

Minimal swirls but quite alot of DA sanding.

NickJaguarXJ220-008.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-009.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-010.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-011.jpg

The grill from the rear comes out to give access to polishing the lights and cleaning a few other bits behind there too..

NickJaguarXJ220-012.jpg

Matteo was sent into the deepest and darkest parts of the car and came back a few hours later proclaiming them clean.. Those of you who follow me on twitter or facebook may have seen my little game of "what car can I put Matteo under today" :)
NickJaguarXJ220-013.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-014.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-015.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-016.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-017.jpg

And then it was done. All waxed with Zymol Vintage. Stunning car that I still cant believe was from 1992! Note its got different seats that are set as far back and not on adjustable runners because the owner is MASSIVE (makes me look short) so this was the only way he would fit. The originals are safely in storage.

NickJaguarXJ220-018.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-019.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-020.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-021.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-022.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-023.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-024.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-025.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-026.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-027.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-028.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-029.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-030.jpg

NickJaguarXJ220-031.jpg

Then these few pics were just little bits I liked. Hand engraved part number on the centre lock adapter
NickJaguarXJ220-032.jpg

Tiny shallow boot
NickJaguarXJ220-033.jpg

Boost cable with special plug for jumping the car if you ever needed to
NickJaguarXJ220-034.jpg

Jag branded fuel cap :)
NickJaguarXJ220-035.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Nathan

Last edited:
Nicks ? Looks ace. Bet it took ages massive thing.
Have you corrected any Ferrari triple layer paints ? Do they posh up ok ?

Nicks ? Looks ace. Bet it took ages massive thing.
Have you corrected any Ferrari triple layer paints ? Do they posh up ok ?

Not sure I have tbh but I don't see why it couldn't be corrected just like any other paint. All of the polishing is done to the lacquer so you can have 50 layers under that and I'll still only polish the lacquer.

Not sure I have tbh but I don't see why it couldn't be corrected just like any other paint. All of the polishing is done to the lacquer so you can have 50 layers under that and I'll still only polish the lacquer.

If it's Sams car you'll probably need to book it into Potter World and buy a top of the range wand. Rob Tomlin had the GT3 RS for weeks to bring it back to what I wanted. You'll need a couple of bin bags for all the sweet wrappers, drug capsule packets, dead pens, dead anmals, loose change etc. :D

Back