Cambridge Autogleam: Gtechniq treatment on Porsche, Seat and a Mini

jk83

Boy Racer
Decided to group these 3 together as they were all for the same customer and all had the same treatment.

5db3f35d45088cc8f27799a2127017c5.jpg
c365a0eb14d857b0e9a6659a01117496.jpg
feb9fd69a78bf246762090907ba03600.jpg
c293327bb941f207da7e8eeeb9ebc30a.jpg

Gtechniq is a relatively new, long life sealant with its roots in the marine market but they found it also works very well and looks great on cars too :)

Like all long life sealants, they are not a magic bomb proof coating. The car still requires a careful, regular wash regime if you want to keep it looking its best. But we have seen independent tests showing how, if left with bird mess and other dirt and contamination on the car for several weeks at a time, Gtechniq still protects your paint, glass and none painted plastic trim better than other long life sealants.

When applied to well prepared paint, it doesn't look too bad either ;)

All 3 of these cars now live outdoors and will be checked at 2 month intervals and results posted up here to show how the Gtechniq system protects for longer.

First up was the Seat Leon.

Usual wash process but then the paint was cleansed with Gtechniq P1 via a DA polisher and a 3m Polishing pad. As well as perfectly preparing the paint for the C1 sealant, the P1 polish enhances the paint and removes light swirl marks. This vital step is often missed when dealers apply their long life sealants.

C1 was applied to the paint. C1 is a rather expensive product (£75 for 50ml) and can only be applied by a Gtechniq detailer due to its fast curing time and how, if left un buffed it sets hard and requires machine polishing to remove again.

C4 was applied to the unpainted plastics. Although C4 has excellent restorative properties... it also protects new plastics to stop them fading in the first place
Image showing how it restores faded trim.
2478617316_2a66cd8436_o.jpg

C5 was applied to the outer faces of the wheels.

G1 was applied to the front screen (3 coats) and 1 coat to the side glass. The 3 coats on the front glass should last up to 30,000 miles.

Due to a very hectic day there were no photos of the process I'm afraid.

Here are the finished photos though.

BruceSeatLeon-01.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-02.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-03.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-04.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-05.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-06.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-07.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-08.jpg

BruceSeatLeon-09.jpg

The the Porsche 996 GT3 had the same treatment.

The wheels were actually removed and cleaned but after a discussion with the customer we did not apply C5 to the inner barrels at this time as they required a refurb.

A few finished photos.

Bruce996GT3-01.jpg

Bruce996GT3-02.jpg

Bruce996GT3-03.jpg

Finally the Mini Cooper D needed a bit of paint correction before we could apply the Gtechniq coating.

Nasty fallout on the bonnet needed some claying / heavy cut polishing to remove.
BruceMiniCooperD-01.jpg

Before washing..
BruceMiniCooperD-02.jpg

BruceMiniCooperD-03.jpg

Paint correction was a mixture of 3m fast cut plus and menzerna 3.02 and then refined with Gtechniq P1.

Before
BruceMiniCooperD-04.jpg

After
BruceMiniCooperD-05.jpg

50/50 shot
BruceMiniCooperD-06.jpg

And some finished shots after the Gtechniq treatment.
BruceMiniCooperD-07.jpg

BruceMiniCooperD-08.jpg

BruceMiniCooperD-09.jpg

BruceMiniCooperD-10.jpg

Thanks for looking

I like the look of that Gtechniq stuff.

Is the C1 miles better than the C2? (I can use C2 but C1 is pro-use only).

I'm tempted to do the Smart, but as a cheap car doesn't warrant much in the way of investment in the bodywork!

What would you charge Nathan for paint correction and C1 on a Smart Roadster? (I'd bring it to you to reduce your travel)

Also, how does it compare with Zaino for shine and longevity? (I'm the ex distributor of Zaino in the UK)

Great work Nathan. :tu

I have used C1/C2 and Zaino products.

The C1 is more difficult to apply & is more expensive but is supposed to be more durable.. However, the beading on a the Zaino prepared car I have seems to last longer - I am told the protection of the C1 is ongoing although the beading is not visible. You can enhance with a dose of C2.

The Zaino also has a smoother finish , and you need to wash a C1 prepared car with wax free shampoo.

For wheels & trim, the C1 is excellent.

I had my Smart done with C1 last year, the plastic panels are ever so soft so beware....

Great work Nathan. :tu

I have used C1/C2 and Zaino products.

The C1 is more difficult to apply & is more expensive but is supposed to be more durable.. However, the beading on a the Zaino prepared car I have seems to last longer - I am told the protection of the C1 is ongoing although the beading is not visible. You can enhance with a dose of C2.

The Zaino also has a smoother finish , and you need to wash a C1 prepared car with wax free shampoo.

For wheels & trim, the C1 is excellent.

I had my Smart done with C1 last year, the plastic panels are ever so soft so beware....

I'm finding the paint very soft; swirls are quite easy to remove with Z-PC by hand, but equally scratches and swirls are very easy to put on too; I may just do the paint correction myself and continue with Zaino (but I'll definitely remember that the paint is soft!)

I'm finding the paint very soft; swirls are quite easy to remove with Z-PC by hand, but equally scratches and swirls are very easy to put on too; I may just do the paint correction myself and continue with Zaino (but I'll definitely remember that the paint is soft!)

Let's put it this way - the detailer who worked on my black Smart said he wished he had not taken on the job. And I suffered burn through on one panel. The tridion is fine, but it's the scratching on the plastic panels that is the issue so I tend to minimise the number of times I wash the car.

Let's put it this way - the detailer who worked on my black Smart said he wished he had not taken on the job. And I suffered burn through on one panel. The tridion is fine, but it's the scratching on the plastic panels that is the issue so I tend to minimise the number of times I wash the car.

Well in that case I thin I'll just completely leave it alone then; just Z5 from time to time!

HI

Still learning about the gtechniq if im honest. These 3 cars are actually a bit of a test and I'll be returning to check on them myself. Due to the high cost of the product I'd need to charge a suitable additional fee to apply the Gtechniq so obviously it needs to be worth that to the customer which is why I'm hesitating at pushing the service just yet.

I actually didn't really 'love' the zaino products either I'm afraid to say. Z2 was a bit of a paint to buff in cold weather and I didn't think the durability was anything special.

I'm still standing by my tried and tested combination of Blackfire prep and Sealant. I still have it on the van and its lasting ages and looking great and is one of the easiest products to use.

Regarding costs for a Smart. I was going to say half price as its half a car :) ... but having never actually done one and hearing how hard the paint is to perfect it doesn't sound like it would be 'only' half the work

I'm still standing by my tried and tested combination of Blackfire prep and Sealant. I still have it on the van and its lasting ages and looking great and is one of the easiest products to use.

Regarding costs for a Smart. I was going to say half price as its half a car :) ... but having never actually done one and hearing how hard the paint is to perfect it doesn't sound like it would be 'only' half the work

I plan to try the Blackfire products, and keen to hear your views on on comparison with the Gtechniq, I was advised not to use shampoos containing wax on C1/C2 prepared cars. How long does the beading with Blackfire products?

My Smart car is black, other colours would perhaps be a lot easier and could be done in half the time,

Back