Cambridge Autogleam: Ferrari F40 Correction Detail with Video

jk83

Boy Racer
Hello.

This Ferrari F40 was detailed last year so I thought it was about time I posted it up.

Best way to keep up with my work is to follow me on Facebook or Twitter where I regularly post photos of the work as I'm doing it.

Change to 720p for the best viewing. Either click this link (http://youtu.be/DF6AjjU1vmc) or watch embedded in the window below.

[video=youtube;DF6AjjU1vmc]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF6AjjU1vmc[/video]

Not every single part of the process was photographed or videoed but this should give a rough overview of the amount of work that went into cleaning up this mildly used example.

Tyres were cleaned with Autoglym acid free wheel cleaner and Wheels with Autofinesse Iron Out and then brushed inside and out. Front and rear clams were lifted so suspension and inner wheels could be reached and cleaned.

A strong APC mix was then used for the pre wash which was applied and left for a few minutes before being pressure rinsed with the main aim to remove all the dirt from the car, not just rinse the foam off. Apologies for the number of photos but the light seemed just right for a few arty shots.

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-05.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-06.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-07.jpg

Next the car was shampoo'd with Auto Finesse Lather and dried with a dodo juice drying towel before being taken inside for inspection and polishing.

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-08.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-09.jpg

The car was clayed although the claying didn't show up any dirt, but best to be safe as if you don't clay the car and realise there are bonded contaminates later during polishing it can be a pain to then get the car wet again.

Used pretty much every polishing tool and polish on this job. Some areas needed a harder compilation and other came up well with just a finishing polish.

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-10.jpg

Due to the delicate nature of the paint, the age of the car and the fact it is not a garage queen but it used several times a year I decided not to chase every single deep scratch but rather to aim for 90% correction which would still make a dramatic difference.

Before
Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-11.jpg

After
Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-12.jpg

Before
Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-13.jpg

After
Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-14.jpg

While I continued with machine polishing, Matteo followed me cleaning up both my polish residue and also what appeared to be a build up of years of caked on hand polish

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-15.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-16.jpg

Interior carbon was cleaned and protected with he old Werkstat Prime Strong

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-17.jpg

Engine and suspension components were given a similar treatment either with the Werkstat or some mild metal polish where needed

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-18.jpg

Outer wheel rims where polished and then the whole wheel was sealed with Wolfs Rim Shield

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-19.jpg

The diffuser was also hand polished with Werkstat before being waxed.

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-20.jpg

The whole car was given a coat of Vintage wax, final dressings applied, interior cleaned and 40 working hrs later it was all finished.

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-21.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-22.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-23.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-24.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-25.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-26.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-27.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-28.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-29.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-30.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-31.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-32.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-33.jpg

Barry%20Ferrari%20F40-34.jpg

Many thanks for looking. Ferrari F50 write up next. I'll try not to leave it as many months between write ups next time :)

Nathan

Last edited:
are you any good with aluminium that is been stained by dirt and weather? for example the suspension arms, hubs etc?

are you any good with aluminium that is been stained by dirt and weather? for example the suspension arms, hubs etc?

To a point... if its really etched the metal there isn't a great deal I can do. What car / part are you referring to.

Top job. They are one of the most evocative cars of all time in terms of suggesting speed and aggressiivity. They may be built like a kit car but if i had one, it would sit in my living room so i could see it all the time.

Good job.

A mate of mine had one.......and honestly, I genuinely think I could build a better car myself in my garage - what a POS it was......

Good job.

A mate of mine had one.......and honestly, I genuinely think I could build a better car myself in my garage - what a POS it was......

Yes they are a bit 'kit car' aren't they. Within the same month I worked on the F40 and the Jag XJ220 which were a similar era but they are worlds apart in their build quality.

Back