Autoblog: Nissan GT-R dynoed at 475 hp, 428 lb.-ft. of torque

monkeyboy

Administrator
Staff member
Filed under: Etc., Supercars, Nissan
gt-r_dynapack_dyno_450-op.jpg

Japan's BestCar buff book grabbed the keys to a new Nissan GT-R and made for the nearest Super Autobacs. Once they arrived, they mounted Godzilla atop a Dynapack chassis dynamometer, removed the wheels and laid down a few runs to get power figures straight from the axles. The numbers are due for publication in the mag's December 25th issue, but our new friend Jeff made Christmas come early.

gt-r_dyna_250-op.jpg
The dyno chart shows a peak output of 475 hp at 6,115 rpm and 428 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,130 rpm. Those numbers are incredible close to Nissan's claim of 480 hp and 430 lb.-ft. of twist, but we'll have to wait until a few lucky souls slap the GT-R onto a set of rollers to get some idea of wheel horsepower and torque figures.

Looking over the chart shows very little happening before 3,000 rpm, which is contrary to a number of driving reports we've read so far. Turbo lag has virtually been eliminated on many new models, the GT-R included, so we're assuming that the Dynapack at Super Autobacs wasn't paying attention until later on in the rev range.

[Source: NAGTROC]
Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
</img> </img>

More...

While out in Japan at NISMO I was lucky enough to see the caged proto of the uprated power version the spec V, If you think the road ones fast wait till you see this. Can anyone say 550BHP plus ;) Interior is too small though :(

Will Nissan be able to shift many of these GT-Rs in the UK, considering the price tag and the considerable depreciation it will suffer ? I would have thought £55k moves you well into the discernible market and I just wonder how many people are going to want one of those when you have the more established marques like BMW and Porsche competing for middle class driveways. It's one hell of a car though.

What sort of price did the previous models retail at ?

James.

50k and 7 years on they are still worth over 30k!

I have photos of the Spec V Ill stick em up when I get back in this evening

I think they have held their value because of rarity, image and that you get a lot of engineering for the money.

I am not surprised there is not much happening at the bottom end. As I mentioned when I read the Autocar report, the fact that they were saying the power delivery felt more savage than on the 997TT made me think that there is a bigger difference between on and off boost performance. Also you could see that peak torque is delivered across a narrower power band. The 997TT's variable turbos are a tough act to follow.
I looked at Borg Warner's web site and they make no mention of the petrol version variable vane turbos in their product range. So I guess they may be exclusive to Porsche.

Trust me I chased Dirk in a proto GTR round the ring last April and he had no issues with power delivery in the bottom end ;)

However - If im really honest, as much as I think its a technically fantastic car, It doesnt light my fire like a second hand GT3 would for the same money.

Im a Porsche owner through and through - I just cant afford one ;)

I think if Weisach knew of the good Porsche feeling I spread they would want to give me an RS.

I was half expecting the power would be considerably more than the quoted figure - then the stats quoted would be a little more understandable.

Back