Aston Martin DB9 gets the detailfinish

Damon

King Kong
A detail for Viper.

My first Aston Martin detail. A fabulous DB9 in black with black leather.

The car has had Ventureshield applied by AMI (KnickeRS on here). The installation was staggeringly good. Full length coverage on panels the length of the DB9 is absolutely amazing.

IMG_4088-vi.jpg

The car was brand new, but my inspection showed dealer inflicted swirls and machine polishing micro-marring. I've become used to it on new car protections, it is a shame that I am no longer surprised to see a lack of care and attention to detail from franchises that charge circa £100k for a car. Unfortunately Aston Martin have signed a corporate deal with Autoglym, and this car was full of the white residue Autoglym products leave when applied without care.

So after the initial wash, degrease, wash, claybar and final wash the exterior was left to totally dry while the interior was detailed.

Its my experience with new car protection details that the leather in a new car contains contaminants that are removed by the Gliptone Liquid Leather Cleaner. I am not sure what the dirt is, but my guess it is production residue or products used to preserve leather in the event of a car not selling quickly.

To illustrate this is the terry towel before and after the Gliptone Cleaner...

IMG_4098-vi.jpg

IMG_4099-vi.jpg

The interior on this car is awesome. I am a real design fanatic, architecture, component quality and material construction mean everything to me. Without question I would rate the DB9's interior as one of the most special interiors I have ever had the pleasure to sit in. The only concern is some of the smaller, less used buttons felt a little plastic, but the main one's were aluminum backlight and exquisite.

IMG_4127-vi.jpg

All fabric surfaces were protected using 303 Aerospace Protectant. In my tests it provides better protection and durability than Scotchguard.

Everything about this car oozes class....the owner manual is bound in fabulous leather, the pages in the most fabulous quality paper. Every button backlight, the boot shuts with a short tug of a leather loop and it drifts down slowly and shuts with a reassuringly confident clunk. The kind of noise that sticks in the mind.

Onto the paint work. Paint depth regions showed a below average thickness for a modern car, 125 microns.

Inspection under the halogen lights showed the need for paint correction...

IMG_4101-vi.jpg

This shows what dealer preparation does to a new car. Black paint is normally the softest of paints admittedly.

This was borne out by the correction taking a medium cut pad and slight cut polish to achieve a defect free finish....

IMG_4102-vi.jpg

IMG_4103-vi.jpg

IMG_4104-vi.jpg

After machine polishing the non-Ventureshielded parts the car was then finished using Swissvax Cleaner Fluid and Swissvax's premier wax, Divine. This is Swissvax's £1400 wax. It provides one of the best finishes available with incredible longevity.

I finish the Ventureshield using an acrylic sealant. Carnauba waxes will 'yellow' over time so I don't recommend applying them to a film that will absorb the carnauba.

The car was then finished with various products that protect all surfaces against the elements and UV.

The finished car...

IMG_4108-vi.jpg

IMG_4110-vi.jpg

IMG_4112-vi.jpg

IMG_4113-vi.jpg

IMG_4116-vi.jpg

IMG_4117-vi.jpg

IMG_4125-vi.jpg

IMG_4135-vi.jpg

IMG_4140-vi.jpg

IMG_4141-vi.jpg

IMG_4144-vi.jpg

IMG_4146-vi.jpg

IMG_4149-vi.jpg

IMG_4153-vi.jpg

IMG_4156-vi.jpg

IMG_4158-vi.jpg

IMG_4092-vi.jpg

Last edited:
shite....potted a csl for this hunk of junk?

the worlds gone mad.

Thanks guys.

JT, Lee's wife has bought this for herself. The CSL has gone, but Lee's collection of cars is to be admired and knowing him the CSL has only moved on to make room for something else :D

Thanks guys.

JT, Lee's wife has bought this for herself. The CSL has gone, but Lee's collection of cars is to be admired and knowing him the CSL has only moved on to make room for something else :D

was a joke mate...its lush!

need you to detail my CSL please...when you free dude?

Cheers Damon.......Supersonic job as always.

Picked it up this morning and followed the wife while she drove it all the way home. Watched it get dirtier and dirtier.:(

Still I know the dirt will just fall off when I (Sorry She) washes it and it'll sparkle again.

Let me know what I need to top it up.

Thanks again.

Back