Alzen ring lap in TECHART Cayman

Is it possible to put a 911 turbo engine into a Cayman?
Is there enough room and cooling?

That would be my ideal daily driver, should my numbers come up sometime soon.

Is there enough room and cooling?

That would be my ideal daily driver, should my numbers come up sometime soon.

I guess it would, but sure it would need a bespoke exhaust/turbocharger installation, plus some pretty serious mody mods to get turbo intake, intercooler cooling etc

Would make a weapon for sure !

I seem to recall a 'ring special' version, think actually Uwe Alzen may have driven it, by coincidence

Nice video, wish I knew my German better. Good luck with the FB and Twitter marketing!

I think the video will please my friend (you might have seen him or his previous yellow cars (FEED ME) at the Ring)

Image[5].jpg

This is 7:56 BTG in a Boxster S, however with R tires.
Uve Alzen manages 8:05 in the video above, but I presume it's on road tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15AUCWQIPS0

Last edited:

I think you would have huge cooling issues. I know there are some fairly cheap kits out there, but IMO you are looking for nothing but trouble if you turbocharge it. Or replace the engine. I think the safest bet is the larger 3,8 litre engine.
Oakley Design had ideas about starting up a factory and replace engines, not sure what happened...

Hell, the engine can't even take being driven on proper r tires. :wall

Ruf used to have a supercharger (Kompressor) but I notice they have removed it for sale. :shame: I drove one, and I wasn't too impressed actually. Nothing I would spend 30k Euros on anyway. No one else apparently...

I think Ruf / Autotuning Norway did a special with a higher hp kompressor, picture below.

Notice the roll bar.

Norge-17.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/12844-Many-pics-RUF-meeting-in-Norway?highlight=norway+ruf

I would want to swap to the GT3 or turbo 911 engine.

I am not 100% sure, but the engine in the Cayman is the 3.4 that used to be in the original 996 C2's isn't it?

If so, then the main issue is the length of the turbo engine.
Part of that is the oil tank, but I am sure it could be moved, the other part is the extra bearing on the crank that makes the whole block longer (I think).
If there is not enough room between the bulk head and the rear axle line, then I agree it would be pretty hard to do.
Cooling for the water should be OK, I think you could get the 3 rads in the front.
The intercoolers would be a little more tricky.

In terms of engine bay heat, how does a normal turbo manage?
Although it has a fan in the rear lid, the fan blows air down, so the heat does not rise up out of the engine bay.
I would imagine that a beefier fan on the side of the cayman, perhaps with a slightly larger scoop in the side would be OK.

It would be good to make it look as close to the a normal Cayman as possible.
Although 305/315 tyres might give the game away.

How similar is the Cayman shell to the 911?

It is all a bit academic, since it will never happen, but it is interesting to speculate.

Last edited:
I presume the way to do it is like Ruf (CTR 3) and 9ff (GT9) have done, albeit they are not based on Caymans but they have proper turbo engines behind the driver. But I guess their design might be a clue to something.

(Sorry for the mentioning of so many other brands in your Techart thread. I have no affilation with Ruf or any other tuner anymore)

Or perhaps Porsche will only keep supplying them with shells if they don't do it.

To my knowledge Ruf doesn't by shells. I think Porsche has made it much harder for tuners the last few years.

I've seen a brand new 997 C2 ripped apart to become a Rt12. :out

TECHART offer a 3.8 conversion for cayman and boxster, from memory, i think it ends up at 385bhp
I have driven one of these, really is a beautifully balanced car, and has the power to match
I suppose a PDK version would present some serious performance figures, combine it with our widebody conversion, now we're talking !

http://http://www.tech9.ms/performance/boxster-cayman/gen-ii-boxster-cayman/gen-ii-cayman-widebody.htm

I recall being over at RS tuning when the boxsters first came out, they fitted a GT3 engine into it, I recall gerhard telling me all the technical issues that they had, that it cost a fortune to do it, and they wouldnt want to do another

I suppose transmission could present a technical challenge too, as the complete engine/gearbox assy is pointing in the opposite direction to standard !

Last edited:
I suppose transmission could present a technical challenge too, as the complete engine/gearbox assy is pointing in the opposite direction to standard !

Yup, this is a serious issue :finger

Just as stupid to put a manual gearbox into an RS6 :out

Do you know the specs on the Cayman S in the video, the one Uve drives?

Yup, this is a serious issue :finger

Just as stupid to put a manual gearbox into an RS6 :out

Do you know the specs on the Cayman S in the video, the one Uve drives?

unsure Erik,

watching Uwe drive the lap, he's not pushing too hard, so was probably advised just to get some coverage to produce the video, its nice quality, and if my german was better, sure some handy driving tips, as Alzen is one of the fastest men around NS

I'm not sure I agree with you on not pushing too hard. Great video anyway, just wish I knew german better.

My est.

238 km/h Schwedenkreuz

229 km/h Fuchsrohre

Back