A Good Detail or a respray....?

Chris

Odin, Father of the North
Just wondering, at what point does the damage get too much that the car basically needs a respray....and when I say damage I mean little scratches, scuffs...etc...

I'm guessing that a Detail to start with would give a good clue to the above...?..

Hi Chris

the basic rule of thumb is if you can feel a scratch with your finger nail then its too deep to be removed 100% safely by machine polishing.

A good detail will remove 80-90% of defects returning a car to acceptable condition. People need to be realistic and no car stays 100% defect free.

I look at resprays as a last resort tbo. They can go badly and if obvious will make it more difficult to sell the car. Most of the cars I have detailed with resprayed panels have shocked me as the paintshop themselves have marred/scratched their own work when finishing it :eek:

So my advice is to get a good detail done then decide.

A skilled detailer can make this

IMG_6344-vi.jpg

Look like this

IMG_6400-vi.jpg

Likewise
IMG_7223-vi.jpg

IMG_7224-vi.jpg

I can help you find someone in your area if you like?

Agree, get it detailed. You'll be surprised how little the stone chips and proper scratches will show up when the rest of it is gleaming.

Generally you can always tell if panels have been resprayed unless they have done a perfect job, which is very rare indeed.

Back