A bit of a challenge...

Damon

King Kong
Today was the biggest test of my paint correction skills...will post more in the morning.

IMG_0090-vi.jpg

A return to Jez's to honour a commitment to 'sort' his Wife's car. I've been given some Victoria Wax products to try so decided to use them in this detail.

So I was presented with a 4 year old Ford SportKa. Got everything ready to make a start, but first order of the day interupted, breakfast :D

IMG_0029-vi.jpg

Staffordshire Oatcakes grilled with bacon, cheese and mushrooms, lovely :)

IMG_0031-vi.jpg

IMG_0032-vi.jpg

So those polished off it was time to start the small job of getting the SportKa done. I was thinking to myself, done by 2pm, home, nice couple of beers in the pub in the afternoon.....how wrong was I!!!!

Drying off the car revealed a very rough paint surface. I could hear the roughness as the drying towel was passed over the paint. A stroke of the paint by hand confirmed a heavily contaminated surface.

No problems I thought. So on with the detailing clay, Sonus Green my staple choice. Did a section twice and it still wasn't smooth, so stepped up to the Megs detailing clay and there was still contaminants coming off.

IMG_0035-vi.jpg

This is the same section after two goes with the Sonus Green. It was too fine so on with the coarser Megs Detailing Clay.

IMG_0041-vi.jpg

IMG_0042-vi.jpg

I showed Jez the clay and asked him where the car was kept during the day...."Oh Jane works at a Metal Foundary"...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there was my afternoon in the pub gone :( It was a nightmare, took forever to clay and the detailing clay went in the bin.

By this point I knew I was also in for a challenge with the paintwork. I moved the car in the garage as the rains of the last few days returned.

The works van getting a 'Mother Nature's Detail'

IMG_0076-vi.jpg

On with Halogens and what I'd observed in daylight was magnified...

IMG_0045-vi.jpg

IMG_0048-vi.jpg

IMG_0051-vi.jpg

IMG_0054-vi.jpg

IMG_0055-vi.jpg

IMG_0058-vi.jpg

IMG_0060-vi.jpg

IMG_0065-vi.jpg

IMG_0068-vi.jpg

So I started out with the Megs Polishing Pad and Menzerna FF PO85RD. It got most of the defects after one application, but needed two applications to get it to the point I was happy with.

IMG_0073-vi.jpg

Not the best 50/50...

IMG_0077-vi.jpg

So I decided to move to a Lake Country White Polishing pad with Menzerna IP 3.01 and the defects where removed with one application.

Settled on this combination the rest of the car done...

IMG_0083-vi.jpg

IMG_0085-vi.jpg

IMG_0084-vi.jpg

IMG_0087-vi.jpg

Door 50/50

IMG_0089-vi.jpg

IMG_0090-vi.jpg

IMG_0092-vi.jpg

IMG_0095-vi.jpg

IMG_0096-vi.jpg

IMG_0100-vi.jpg

Rear quarter

IMG_0102-vi.jpg

IMG_0106-vi.jpg

IMG_0108-vi.jpg

IMG_0105-vi.jpg

Phew!!! That was fun..NOT ;)

Then back outside for the paint cleaning and waxing.

Carrying on with the Victoria Wax products I decided to try the Deep Cleanse on a Lake Country Finessing Pad.

IMG_0112-vi.jpg

This isn't the greatest pic, but the cleaner went on really easily at 600rpm then worked in with 2/3 passes at 900rpm. Buffing off was incredibly easy, even easier than Swissvax Cleaner Fluid which I have always considered the easiest to work with. As for the finish it was very good IMO. Not as squeaky clean as the Swissvax CF, but good considering it is a cheaper product.

And then the bit I was looking forward too, my first use of Victoria Wax Concours.

IMG_0117-vi.jpg

I found the wax very easy to work with. I tried by hand and pad, both worked well. By this time the ambient temp was quiet high so I found it better to only do 2 panels at a time, as I found it drying quite quickly and it made it harder to buff off.

As for the finish I was very impressed. At its price point, £30, I think it takes some beating.

Waxing done it was finishing the car plastics with Swissvax Pneu before packing up quickly and having a cheeky pint on the way home.

Hope you enjoyed the read :thumb:

IMG_0119-vi.jpg

IMG_0120-vi.jpg

IMG_0121-vi.jpg

IMG_0122-vi.jpg

IMG_0123-vi.jpg

IMG_0125-vi.jpg

IMG_0127-vi.jpg

IMG_0131-vi.jpg

IMG_0132-vi.jpg

IMG_0133-vi.jpg

IMG_0124-vi.jpg

IMG_0130-vi.jpg

Jez, you feckin skin flint!!! A Ford Ka for the missus??? How do you get away with it???:eek: :finger

Jez, you feckin skin flint!!! A Ford Ka for the missus??? How do you get away with it???:eek: :finger

LOL - She had the choice of 206cc, Elise, S2000, Civic Type R or a Mini - She chose the Street Ka

She won't even swap it now for a boxter She does like the Audi TT though.

She says she would rather have new bathrooms than change her car! - The bathrooms are only 2 years old!

Jez

Jez - you didn't say you were married to a welder ! :finger

Reminds me of my Black evo - was a nighmare to keep swirl free - never again will I buy a black car

Breakfast looks good - made me hungry now

Damon, if I were you I would of chinned Jez and floored him...then tell him where to stick his fucking detail (cheeky northern bastard!). And another thing....I dont come on here to look at pictures of bags of shit like that :finger ....Jez, get your hands in your pocket and get your wife something better than that will you!!!! (tight arsed northern git)

LOL You Guys:finger

She likes it and thats all that matters?

She would rather drive that and go to Sandy Lane every year than loose 12k + p/a on a car. As I said she isnt in to cars at all. The last thing I would want to do is put her in a car just to create an impression -
Jez

Last edited:
LOL You Guys:finger

She likes it and thats all that matters?

She would rather drive that and go to Sandy Lane every year than loose 12k + p/a on a car. As I said she isnt in to cars at all. The last thing I would want to do is put her in a car just to create an impression - Jez

Tight arsed twat

Last edited by a moderator:
Damon, don't fancy spending a few days in the Isle of Wight do you? You could do my boat and the missus car!:)

Back